Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I found a way to enable sport mode (same as Focus ST) and disable traction control with a switch. Should work on MK3 and MK3.5 Focus.

No fuse pulling! No check engine, DTC or ABS warning light!

1. Simple DIY with TCS OFF, 2nd press Sport Mode [ESC OFF] (able to drift)

2.Complex DIY with Arduino that remember your settings even with car off. Ex: will always disable TCS or enable Sport Mode.

Anyone interested to this?

It's been a while since I did DIY guides here (my god I hate the "new" forum layout) and lack motivation to do it.

Thanks,
Laurent

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
DIY TC , How ?
Using motorcraft sw6992 and a microcontroller to "speak" to the ABS module via HS-CAN. I have two designs in my head.

1. One guaranteed to work (TC OFF) and interface with the Cluster (IPC) but Sport mode will not work. Bit of a hack but hey if it works it works!
  2. One that communicate on the canbus listening for specific message IDs and responding accordingly.TC off and Sport mode possible... best option that I need to test more.
I am waiting on my Digikey orders to arrive to begin testing.

I prefer to test more before elaborating more details. This has been a on and off project on the side for more than 3 years.

Yes Im not a big fan of the new look , a lot of people left
That's what I was afraid too! Forum looks dead compared to 3 years ago.

Regards,
Laurent

·
So mote be it
8,926 Posts
if you are saying you can cleanly get sport mode enabled full time, ie i dont have to press the button everytime i start the car, i am very interested. I would be able to test on an ST if you need someone. people on focusst.org would be jumping all over this

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you are saying you can cleanly get sport mode enabled full time, ie i dont have to press the button everytime i start the car, i am very interested.
Well if it's for your ST, it's gonna work 100% since sport mode is easily accessible.Per Ford service manual, ABS module for all MK3's are non programmable (firmware upgradable) and are all the same part number**. Messages sent on the canbus should be the same from regular MK3 to ST.

** Focus 2015-2017 have a different part number (F1FZ-2C405-L) so I will need to validate if the commands are the same for these years later on.

People on focusst.org would be jumping all over this.
I am surprise no one there didn't find a solution since their forum is very active to modding compare to here. I am often looking there for ideas to mod my regular MK3, it's a nice niche community :)

I am still waiting for the Digikey & RockAuto part to arrive. Next week-end I should have time to test.

Laurent

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I did some test and unfortunately I will have to upgrade the ABS Module to a newer hardware version to make the Sport Mode / ESC off works! I'm not too far to get ESC off and Sport Mode in a regular MK3.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Update: I did some test and unfortunately I will have to upgrade the ABS Module to a newer hardware version to make the Sport Mode / ESC off works! I'm not too far to get ESC off and Sport Mode in a regular MK3.
Aw, was hoping your figured out a way for the regular MK3 lol I'll keep an eye out in case you do. Don't even want it perm. off, but having the option would be nice for sure.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aw, was hoping your figured out a way for the regular MK3 lol I'll keep an eye out in case you do. Don't even want it perm. off, but having the option would be nice for sure.
Don't worry I'm working on it. I purchased the Rotunda new VCM 3 (2000$ canadian bucks) to make it happen plus used ABS unit to play with it. I'm waiting for the US custom to clear them. ;)

Reactions: tkassik
1 - 8 of 8 Posts