Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had a few sets of cold cathode lights laying around. (ha ha I bought them for my scooter to use as an underbody kit so I could look cool at night...lol).

Anyways I decided to put a couple under my dash tonight. I hooked them up to my dimmer knob on the headlight on off switch. Here's how I done it.

Tools Used:
7mm and 5/16 socket
Electrical Tape
Zipties
12v Test Light
Wire Splice Clips
14 Guage Wire
Crosstip Screw Unwinder
Wire Crimper/Strippers
x2 12" Cold Cathode Lights (Green)

1. Take off the bottom panel under the steering wheel. (4 bolts 5/16)

2. Remove the A/C vent and then unscrew and remove the small panel (1x 7mm bolt on the side).

3. Remove the light switch assembly (x3 Crosstip) and then disconnect the wiring harness.

4. I used my test light to find wire that controls the dimming of the interior lights. It is the upper left Orange/Blue wire.

5. Just splice the power for the CC lights into this wire, ground and enjoy!

Now the only problem I ran into is that when I first turn on my headlights the guage cluster doesn't light up, only the needles. I have to turn down the dimmer, and then turn it back up to get them to work.

Also once the guage cluster lights are on, the light that lights up the odometer will not turn on.

Maybe someone could help me out on this one. I have no idea. Everything is grounded well, and all connections/splices are fine.

Here is a pic from the back seat.

[thumb]

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
very nice man! i want to light up my floor as well...i think that it looks nice

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I had a few switches laying around, but I didn't want to mess up my interior by drilling a hole for a switch. I like the ashtray switch write up, but I use that for all the spare change (well except the change thats all over the floor board...lol).

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
i am laughin at the drawings lol arrows sad faces and WTF's

Reactions: Joshuasvt

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any pictures of the locations where the cathodes were mounted, or did you just stuff them in there and hope that they don't drop out?

Nice write up.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
locations

Any pictures of the locations where the cathodes were mounted, or did you just stuff them in there and hope that they don't drop out?

Nice write up.

On the drivers side I ziptied the light right behind the panel to one of the wiring harnesses.

On the passenger's side I stuffed the light between the A/C and the panel.
[strongman]

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol

i am laughin at the drawings lol arrows sad faces and WTF's

Thats exactly what i said to myself when they wouldn't turn on..

But it's not like thats uncommon on the SVTs. You get one thing working right and something else breaks.....

The SVT says HA HA now you're my biotch[whip]

·
Registered
418 Posts
/agreed ^^

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
*UPDATE*
I still can't figure this out. I unplugged the lights, checked the wiring harness for the factory switch, and double checked my splices and ground....I guess I have to deal with my odometer light being out. Oh well the lights look good though...lol

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
*Globoi87* Looks good man. I like how bright your lights are.

I added two more in the trunk last night...No more white light for me!!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Looks good. The only thing I can say is, when I hooked up my A/F gauge the same way, I never had anyproblems. Maybe you pulled something loose behind the gauge cluster??? Did you try unhooking the wires and putting it back to stock and see what happens. Also maybe you need to upgrade a fuse??? Just ideas.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Looks good. The only thing I can say is, when I hooked up my A/F gauge the same way, I never had anyproblems. Maybe you pulled something loose behind the gauge cluster??? Did you try unhooking the wires and putting it back to stock and see what happens. Also maybe you need to upgrade a fuse??? Just ideas.
I checked the wire connections.
I was thinking of checking the fuses next, but I guess I'm too lazy[hihi]

Well newayz thanks[thumb]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts