Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Focus Preacher
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to share my camping mod for the MK3.

Before I just folded the rear seats and then sleep there but it was difficult because you had to move all the gears on the forwarded front seats every time you wanted to sleep.

This is balance between sleeping and storage space.

Specs:

Sleeping space: 80" x 55" x 22" (height)

Storage space (under):

• Wheel spare area height is 16"
  • Rear seat area height is 19"
  • Back of front seats height is 25"
This is perfect for travelling with all the camping gears.

Everything is easy to install/disassemble. (~15 min)

End result first! [grinking]

Modular 1/2 inch plywood panels:

Everything is holding with wing nuts making it easy with no tools to install/remove.

Wood frame is attached to the MK3 frame using 1/4" thick. steel brackets. This is important because you wouldn't want to have something crush you in a car accident or roll over.

No modification to the car frame at all! Everything is bolt on. Re-using rear seat bolts and existing fixed studs close to the spare wheel.

Wood structure overview (rear wooden panel removed):

This is the mock-up (wasn't final yet):

To give you an example of sleeping space you have:

Folded front wood panel (driving position):

Unfolded with front seats fully forwarded (sleeping position):

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow, really nice work! That's awesome. How comfortable is it sleeping in there? I always thought about trying it, but I never have had the opportunity.

Side Note: This reminds me of the episode of Top Gear where they went to Africa and make sleepers like this haha.

·
Focus Preacher
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow, really nice work! That's awesome. How comfortable is it sleeping in there? I always thought about trying it, but I never have had the opportunity.

Side Note: This reminds me of the episode of Top Gear where they went to Africa and make sleepers like this haha.
A smooth straight wooden platform is the best sleeping base you can have. It doesn't flex or move even with two people. GF likes it. Way better than sleeping on the folded rear seats.

You must have some sleeping pad unless you like to sleep directly on wood which is a bit harsh for my back. I use 2" thick. sleeping pads more than enough for me.

EDIT: Before (see picture below) it looked good but the folded rear seat never folded flat (a small angle and unstable) required a lot of filling to enjoy a good sleep. There was no storage space possible before I did the camping platform.

·
Focus Preacher
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reactions: sailor

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Your mod is beyond brilliant.

Clever, ingenious and very high quality work is evident. I especially like how you used existing attachment points and paid attention to safety considerations.

You have been repped sir.

·
Focus Preacher
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! :)

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
What happens if you wake up in a cold sweat? Whack your head on the ceiling lol.
He still has more room in there than the teardrop I am planning on building.

The design is based on the Eis-Piccolo teardrop that was made in Germany in the 1950s and brilliantly drawn by Andrew Gibbens.

Measures 48" x 80"
Weight 280 lbs. (can be towed by almost anything)

Attachments

·
Focus Preacher
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He still has more room in there than the teardrop I am planning on building.

The design is based on the Eis-Piccolo teardrop that was made in Germany in the 1950s and brilliantly drawn by Andrew Gibbens.

Measures 48" x 80"
Weight 280 lbs. (can be towed by almost anything)
Wow this is really amazing...are you a wood worker? You got some talent there [like]

Please keep us updated on your build [grinking]

·
Focus Preacher
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's pretty sweet! I want to do a camper conversion with a Transit Connect
That would be nice! Plenty of space available...I've seen some pretty nice projects with a Transit.

·
Registered
316 Posts
A focus hatch is a great car to camp out of. I have used it solo just sleeping in the front seat fully reclined. Tent camped out of it and pulled my teardrop. All good solutions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just want to share my camping mod for the MK3.

Before I just folded the rear seats and then sleep there but it was difficult because you had to move all the gears on the forwarded front seats every time you wanted to sleep.

This is balance between sleeping and storage space.

Specs:

Sleeping space: 80" x 55" x 22" (height)

Storage space (under):

• Wheel spare area height is 16"
  • Rear seat area height is 19"
  • Back of front seats height is 25"
This is perfect for travelling with all the camping gears.

Everything is easy to install/disassemble. (~15 min)

End result first! [grinking]

Modular 1/2 inch plywood panels:

Everything is holding with wing nuts making it easy with no tools to install/remove.

Wood frame is attached to the MK3 frame using 1/4" thick. steel brackets. This is important because you wouldn't want to have something crush you in a car accident or roll over.

No modification to the car frame at all! Everything is bolt on. Re-using rear seat bolts and existing fixed studs close to the spare wheel.

Wood structure overview (rear wooden panel removed):

This is the mock-up (wasn't final yet):

To give you an example of sleeping space you have:

Folded front wood panel (driving position):

Unfolded with front seats fully forwarded (sleeping position):

Ha! excellent. One of your countrymen will be jealous!![:)]

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0SO80LmekpaJNMAkC1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTExM2Jia211BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDREZENl8xBHNlYwNzYw--?p=ricky+trailer+park+boys&fr=chr-greentree_ff

1 - 20 of 27 Posts