Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moderators rename this if you want if enough people like it.

So I recently was wanting to put an overlay on my 3rd brake light of my focus. I couldn't find anything I liked for it, so an idea struck me. Why not just use some electrical tape! I don't think it will fade over time, don't need gas or anything harmful to remove it. If you want something new just peel it off and make something else instead.

MATERIAL
-Electrical Tape
-Carpenter knife/Exacto knife
-Cutting board
-Template

TIME
Around 20-25 minutes

This is also much cheaper and you can add your own style to it.

My light was 10.5" x 1". Here is how I did it. Sorry not many pictures, kinda self explanatory though.

1) I removed the light from my car and gave it a good cleaning to get dust, dirt, grit off of it so the tape sticks nicely.

2) Peel off about 13 inches of tape, this way you can cut both ends nice and straight. I had to use 2 pieces of tape because they were only 3/4" wide, so no big deal, I would recommend a little over an inch just so you can tuck it in so no light gets through the top and bottom.

3) Place the tape on a cutting board, flat and straight. Find a template that you want to use, I used microsoft word to make a font and printed it off, this allows you to pick the size you want as well, bold, etc.

4) Center it on your piece of tape and tape it down, straight is good here.

5) Take an exacto knife or carpenter knife, anything like that and carefully cut along the outlines of the letters or decal. Make sure you get the corners good so it all comes off in one piece.

6) Take off your template, and start to peel the tape up, be easy when you get to the letters or it could rip, if so its not that hard to see where it went.

7) Go ahead and put it on your brake light cover, lay one end down where you want and just work your way across. Be sure to press down around the lettering/decal to keep it down. Tuck in the tape where you can.

Voila you are done! Be sure to add adequate size numbers/letters as this is a brake light and safety feature. The electrical tape doesn't allow ANY light to get through. Plus you don't have to worry about cracking with the nightshade or fading with a vinyl.

Post results if you do this![clap]

I currently have niteshade and LED bulbs in mine. Here is what it could look like.
[/URL][/IMG]

Disregard the dirty car and wax on trim. Im working on it![paranoid]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

You can see in this last picture that I didnt fully cover the top so some light gets through, but you get the gist of it[headbang]

Any questions give me a holler.

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
I love this. I'm gonna pick a nice font for my Wagon and see how it turns out. This is such an amazing idea, Free.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i like it. i can do pepakura HD suits of armor but i have never thought of doing this. if i didnt plasti mine white i would so do this!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Great job, free! Very good idea and great job thinking outside of the box. Thinking about doing this myself!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great job, free! Very good idea and great job thinking outside of the box. Thinking about doing this myself!

Go for it! If you don't like it then take off and try something else. It was a "college mod". Nice an cheap yet good quality. It should hold up pretty well.

Rule is if you do it you have to post a picture of it.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Practice makes perfect , so keep at it and eventually you do 1 that you like .

Wish I would have thought of this , been a lot cheaper than the LED I have .

It was a spur of the moment thinking for me and dad. It's working put quite well actually. Survived a wash and wax so far. Been on for 2-3 weeks now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts