Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I was driving on the highway, i shift into 5th at 55mph (is this the correct shifting time?) and my foot is all the way down on the gas.. i hit 80 after like 20 seconds it stops at 80, mind you im giong down a slight hill... wtf? is this normal?? I was dissapointed.. I know its a ecocar w/e but.. 80? cmon ill do that on my bike.

Anway i take the exit and come to the light, guess who pulls up? A cop.. haha scary.. but nothing happend. So I went home.

My car came with an intake.. dont know what kind or anything.

But do all SPI's top at 80?

·
Registered
28 Posts
hmmm before i got my car tuned it topped out at 108. the car comes programmed at the factory with a 108 speed governor but i was able to get it to 120 now with the xcal2 and other mods

·
Registered
549 Posts
make sure you were in 5th and not 3rd...no way you would top out at 80. try it again on a closed course...definitley not a public highway. oh and at your own risk[:D] you may have just hit your rev limiter (or on our cars...fuel cut)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats really weird.. but if i was in third it would have been revving high. Wasn't at all...

Thanks for the quick reply btw.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Combination of low power + somewhat long final drive ratio (3.9:1) make fifth gear horrible for acceleration of any kind. I have 4.06 gears and some decent mods, and I can't accelerate in 5th all that fast.

As far as topping out at 80...you might've just been stuck there. Next time try downshifting into 4th and see if that does anything [thumb]

·
Registered
549 Posts
in 3rd..not really high, but on a downhill you would have topped out in no time...hit the fuel cut and caused some alarm.......try a full run to 85....on a closed course while obeying al traffic laws of course.[thumb]

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
It all depends...if you're bouncing off the rev limited (the engine will rev and fall off quickly) you're really pusing it too far...but you should be able to get up to at least 80 in 4th before you should shift.

·
Registered
549 Posts
start off normally, then shift around 5-6k through all gears until you get to the top of 5th....then that will eliminate any uncertainties....keep us posted.[:D] on a closed course of course[:D]

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I've topped out at 105 with my SPI. I think it could've gone faster, but the limiter might have kicked in.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Makes much more sense now. Seeing as I accelerated 25mph in 5th gear when it has long final drive ratio. Cool, thanks guys! Really helpful :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
ok heres the speeds i get in my car, the top speeds are where i shift when racing

1st 0-33
2nd 33-55
3rd 55-80
4th 80-100
5th 100-108

those are NOT places you want to shift with daily driving.

and i have NEVER hit the rev limiter, EVER!

also do yourself a favor and get a tach cluster, its the only mod i have and it makes driving so much easier, also, it lets you get to know the car better

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
zal said:
ok heres the speeds i get in my car, the top speeds are where i shift when racing

1st 0-33
2nd 33-55
3rd 55-80
4th 80-100
5th 100-108

those are NOT places you want to shift with daily driving.

and i have NEVER hit the rev limiter, EVER!
I think the rev limiter is set to 6200rpm on your SPI. I know when mine hits that, it bogs down. Anybody want to donate a Xcal2? x00t! [woot]

·
Registered
950 Posts
^ dude, without a tiltable steering wheel that tach is useless half the time

·
Registered
950 Posts
you can find them on ebay, or sometimes members will sell them. it replaces your current speedo. If you only ever make one modd to your car that would be my biggest advice right there to get one. It made me have a much better appreciate for what this shitty little slow ass car is made of.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i got mines on ebay... came back with a grey back face butttttttt make sure you get you write down your mileage down on the old guage face because the new one will have a different one...mines worked real good but ebay can be a real gamble

peaceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

1 - 20 of 48 Posts