Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put my car up on ramps to take my amber corners off to trade them for clear corners and was checking everything out and noticed my sway bar was disconnected on the driver's side. It kinda looked like the bushing broke on the top or something like that, but I don't really know. I took some pics...

And the passenger side, which is fine...

I have an Eibach front sway on the way, but wasn't planning on switching them until I got a rear also. Will it be OK to keep driving like this (I have no idea how long it's been like this)? And could this be the reason my car is pulling to the left and tracking all over the place? (been doing it for a couple months, went to get the alignment redone and they didn't mention this to me so I never went under there looking) Thanks guys,
Josh

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
WTF thats all that hold on the sway bar? just 2 ball joints...Doesn't look like a verry good design but then again I dont kno much about SVT

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks blackcatn20 I just called Mike and ordered them....$11.88 each! Thanks a lot!

Problem solved.....I love this site

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
That happened to my sway bar a few weeks ago. I heard some weird rattling under the car and looked underneath and noticed the same thing on my driverside. Bought a new sway bar link assembly for 35 bucks and put it on. The new one was a heck of a lot better built than the stock one.

·
Registered
881 Posts
WTF thats all that hold on the sway bar? just 2 ball joints...Doesn't look like a verry good design but then again I dont kno much about SVT
I guess it's that the forces are transmitted transversely through the swaybar, and not end to end?

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That happened to my sway bar a few weeks ago. I heard some weird rattling under the car and looked underneath and noticed the same thing on my driverside. Bought a new sway bar link assembly for 35 bucks and put it on. The new one was a heck of a lot better built than the stock one.
Wow $35 for the one side? Or both? They were $11.88 each side from Mike, plus shipping of course

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
35 for one,lol, but comparing the old one to the new one the new one looked like a tooth pick compared to the new one.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
I guess it's that the forces are transmitted transversely through the swaybar, and not end to end?
But that energy has to go some where...rite? May be it goes from the end links to the center of the sway bar. you know like from out side in, instead of inside out... but then how do people snap LCA's...IDK[bigcry]

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Damn dude. Did you buy the moog endlinks or the stock replacements?
I've got the moog ones and they are much thicker and better quality than the OEM ones were.
I would highly recommend the moog ones to everyone.....they are so nice.

·
Registered
107 Posts
mine has broke loose also :( ive been driving it like that for a while now. it doesnt hurt the handleing that bad unless your really tryna corner hard. but maybe thats why it broke in the first place... whoo knowws

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i bought stock replacement ones but they look identical to the moog ones. The stock replacement ones from Napa are a 100 percent better quality than the stock ones.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
But that energy has to go some where...rite? May be it goes from the end links to the center of the sway bar. you know like from out side in, instead of inside out... but then how do people snap LCA's...IDK[bigcry]

You are very right about the swaybar links being a poor design. Or I should say how the links are designed. They are very wimpy. If you take a look of the Moogs and stock side by side you will see why the Moogs are so much better. Same idea but the balljoint is almost 3 times the size, greaseable, and the shaft is also much bigger and made out of a better steel. Much stronger. This is the reason a lot of peoples stockers wear out so easy. Just not strong enough.

The energy from the swaybar is transmitted from side to side into the strut assembly where the other side of the link is connected. Basically as one side of the bar is pushed down in a corner, it lifts the other side up. Since there is weight to the side being lifted, this in turn affects how much the turning side can go down, thereby reducing the "sway" of the car. The bigger the bar, the less it will sway to a point basically.

Edit: Of course the stiffness of your springs greatly determines this as well as they compress in a turn.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
getting ready to install some myself soon. rock auto rocks

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
mine has broke loose also :( ive been driving it like that for a while now. it doesnt hurt the handleing that bad unless your really tryna corner hard. but maybe thats why it broke in the first place... whoo knowws
Maybe you should call mike too about some Moog end links.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts