Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several weeks ago I had a mechanic install new rotors and ceramic brake pads on my 2000 Focus ZTS.

A few days ago I started hearing a grinding noise emanating for the right front wheel. I took it off and noticed scraping as seen in this picture.

Upon further inspection of the caliper assembly as seen in this picture I see that the retaining clip is loose and that this is what has caused the scarring to the wheel and I'm sure the grinding noise.

I don’t trust that the mechanic has properly installed the clip.

Should it be ears out like this

Or ears in like this?

I looked at the illustrations on this page http://www.teamfocus.us/changingthebrakedisc.htm
but there is not enough detail for me to make out the orientation.

Any input is much appreciated.
Thanks
Jim Mac Millan[:)]
P.S. Bigger Pictures Here If It Helps.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can't remember, but I think in! (Bottom pic) That sucks!! I'd go back and ask the person who did the work WHAT THE F^*K!! That's why I do my own work. It's been awhile since I changed my brakes though.

·
Registered
534 Posts
In looking at the Shop Manual, neither of your examples is correct. The clip starts out with the "ears" in, the open side of the clip inserted into the clip retainers and the closed side of the clip closest to the open side of the caliper. The clip is then rotated about the retainers as the axis so that the "ears' are then out and the closed side of the clip is now nearest the closed side of the caliper. The first picture is how the clip should look before its rotated into its final position, except that the right side of the clip should be behind the cast tab on the caliper as the left side is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts