Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My focus has Discs in the front and drums in the back. Would there be any benefit to having quad discs brakes and if so how much would it cost/has it been done?

·
Registered
484 Posts
i was wondering the same thing...except i'm not familiar with the whole brake setup, if someone does know, or has done it it would be a great how-to

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
This is an ongoing deal. I'm in you guys' boat.

There are ways to do it, one way involves some junkyard shopping for all the disc brake stuff off the back of a higher trim-level Focus and piecing it all together. I dunno about you guys, but that seems like a lot of work for a car that does 85% of its braking up front.

There's also a complete SVT brake kit available from Ford Racing for $800 give or take. It's 300 mm rotors up front and 280s in the back. ALMOST complete overkill for street Focus. But you guys are in charge of your wallets.

They recently came out with a rear-only SVT disc brake conversion kit, but then your front rotors would be smaller than your rears... some brake biasing would have to happen to make your car stop properly, and it may be a safety issue.

I think to satiate my need for stopping power, I'm going to upgrade the front braking system first. If I really feel like I need rear discs, I might get the SVT set for the cleanest look, not to mention brick-wall stopping power.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Roland07 is completely right. quad disks are ALMOST overkill, but who would pass up a deal to put them on?

They would definately help your braking distances and overall performance, plus, if you use them a lot (in the city driving), you won't notice nearly as much fade from braking as you do with drums, if any at all.

The only thing that would pinch you would be your pockets. It's just completely up to you wether it's important for you to have ferrari brakes or 1000+ dollars for free spending in your pocket.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
If you guys are worried about going too big then get ST rears from somewhere. The idea is the same just with smaller discs.

And the SVT has AWESOME brakes just so you guys know. With the right tires you stop on a dime everytime.

·
Registered
484 Posts
gravity idk what mods youve done with your car, but i think id be much better off putting in an intake/exhaust first then worrying about brakes later.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the help guys. Arasky, you're right, that's def something for the far future, not now.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
And the SVT has AWESOME brakes just so you guys know. With the right tires you stop on a dime everytime.
Hell yes they do! Just saying that if you don't spend any time on the track, or have any other really high-demand jobs for your brakes, then an upgraded stock setup will be a lot easier on you on the cash side of things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts