Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I spray windshield washer fluid, the wipers wipe like 3 times or so. That's normal. However, a couple of seconds later it wipes once more, leaving a streak on the windshield.

Is there any way to disable the courtesy wipe? I see that Ford was trying to do you a favor, to wipe away any little droplets that might trickle on down. But it does more harm than good. I like looking out a clear windshield, and that streaking bugs me.

I did RTFM as well..doesn't say anything about disabling it (or I totally missed it!) Maybe I would have to go to the dealer to get this "fixed"?

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Does the same thing on my '07. It only ever leaves a streak if my windshield or wipers have crap stuck to it that cleaning doesn't clear, the courtesy wipe doesn't add any extra streaks or marks. I do get streaks after the wipers get worn out though, have you checked out your wipers to see that they are still smooth and contacting the windshield evenly? Could be time for new wipers...

·
Registered
772 Posts
He just bought the car, the wipers should be in good condition. There is no setting for the courtesy wiper feature like on the Edge and Explorer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
push the control arm down 2 secs after the 3th wipe it will give to the 4th wipe right away and that's it. no more courtesy wipe after that's what i do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
push the control arm down 2 secs after the 3th wipe it will give to the 4th wipe right away and that's it. no more courtesy wipe after that's what i do.
this is what I do.

I see what Ford was attempting to do, But it DOES NOT help in the winter, when your doing 70 on the highway, and you heats on and salts all over the place and it un-does all the crap it just removed lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can turn the car off, then back on. Though it's really only useful on the manual, because you can hold the clutch in while the motor is off.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
That's too late already as most of the fluid goes to the edge of the glass after the first wipe.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Disable? I've been trying to figure out how to enable it...mine doesn't do it...
I know this is an old post, but no courtesy wipe on mine either. In fact this is the first I've heard about it.

It could be worse though. My Ciera, the car the Focus replaced, had an automatic cycle that ran every time the washer was used. It would run the wipers for several seconds at a low setting while spraying three long bursts of washer fluid. There was no way to cancel it and I would sometimes accidentally engage the cycle when using the turn signal.

This made the windshield showroom clean every time but used so much fluid that I was having to refill the tank every week or two in the winter. And it was always running out when I needed it because the only warning I'd get was that it didn't work. [scream]

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I find if I use MORE washer fluid right off. the whole problem thing of the courtesy wipe goes away. (if i use a minimum, the windscereen in not actually cleaned off, and the courtesy wipe smears the grung left behind having used too little washer fluid) (( The salt substitute 'juice' they now use instead of real salt does not help any either))

And the washer fluid tank on the Focus seems to be bottomless.
My other cars I would run out all the time.I never even seem to get close to using it all up in the Focus. [strongman]

·
Registered
33 Posts
I find my experience to be the opposite. Using the spray on the back windshield seems to use way more fluid that what's necessary.

It's always a possibility that the back nozzle is malfunctioning, creating a stream rather than a spray.

Does anyone else have a back spray that streams put more that it sprays?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think that's just a focus hatch thing. It seams that most just piss all over the back of the car. I really wish it would actually spray... [vommit]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts