Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my 2002 Focus LX automatic with 80,000 miles, I replaced my ECU with a used one ($50 at eBay) to troubleshoot a tranny problem, but then I had to pay the dealer almost $300 to copy information out of my old ECU and write it into the replacement. (Though that also included $30 to program a second key.) Then the replacement ECU developed the same problem indication as the old one (a short).

So after I figure out what's causing the short, I'm staring at the prospect of replacing and reprogramming the ECU again.

Once the replacement ECU was installed, the car wouldn't even start until it had been reprogrammed, and I understand that this was due to the PATS.

Can I disable the PATS and use a replacement ECU without reprogramming it? In other words, is the programming only needed to set up the key/PATS info?

·
FF Affiliate
30,666 Posts
I have a way to bench flash but depending on your ECU code most PATS switches dont work in the SCT tuning sofftware and by the time you bought a flasher and shipping (399.00 and 20.00 shipping) it would be cheaper to have Ford do it

If you get the correct ECU they wouldnt charge you anything but the key/pats , There is a code on the ECU that tells what ECU it is and what ECU you have to use it cant just be for a 2002 Focus ECU

Tom

·
Registered
77 Posts
I dig this post up cause I am curiouse. (sp) So, if I get a ECU same code and same "bin" example (3s4A-12A650-AAC) I wont have to get the keys flashed. Or whatever the process is for changing an ECU out? Or can you explain how the process works in simple terms for me. Thanks!!

CJ

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
holy thread revival batman xD 6 years... xD im pretty sure that car is long gone

also on another note Tom i may be purchasing a SVT with your programming in it which includes the mated programmer.. i will need you to take a look at its running when and if i get the car as its going to cost me about $650 just to tow the barely running 400km's

for now no names on who or what vehicle till its final xD all i know i was told it was SCT tuned and come with its programmer

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
yeah im no longer giving pertinent info anymore on the car or info as i have recently been screwed out of 2 cars i wanted by people on forums going and making better deals.

and wasn't on this forum so no one here is to blame xD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts