Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a way to permanently disable the Key Chime on My 2009 SE. I know on some Fords a wire to the ignition switch can be cut to disable the chime. There are 4 wires going to the ignition switch and I do not have a wiring diagram to know which one of these goes to the chime. Or even if one of the wires go to the chime.

I appreciate any information...

Bart N

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I was not very clear in what I am trying to accomplish. I would like to be able to leave the key in the ignition and leave the door open so I can listen to the radio when I am out doors and not have the door chime beeping in the background. i can achieve this in the short term by shimming the door switch, but then the interior lights do not work.

If I can somehow disable the chime for when the key is in the ignition and leave all of the other chimes in tact, that would be my preference.

Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I would like to be able to leave the key in the ignition and leave the door open so I can listen to the radio when I am out doors and not have the door chime beeping in the background.
Old thread, but for anyone else considering this, there are easier solutions:

OEM Radio - take the key out of the ignition and push the on/off button on the radio to turn the radio on. Has the advantage that nobody can drive off with your car.

Aftermarket Radio - you want to wire in a toggle switch and a relay so that you can play the radio with the key off.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,216 Posts
I did the wire snip to my car years ago. It was easy on mine I'm not sure about the MK2, but Tiger's suggestion is pretty good.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Problem with the wire snip and the passenger door re-route above is I would definitely want the lights-on alarm chime and really, I like the keys in the ignition alarm chime.

I did the relay mod on my car, but not so much b/c I wanted the door open with the key in the ignition as there were times that I wanted to shut the car off and continue listening to the radio (Retained Accessory Power on newer cars keeps the radio on until any door is opened, but not on a Gen 1. With the mod, I flip the toggle switch and the radio keeps playing until I flip the switch back off); and there are times that I want to listen to the radio without digging out my keys and putting the car in accessory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts