Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to disable the horn chirp when activating the alarm? I don't want to annoy my neighbors when I arm it at night.

With my old Subaru, it was a morse code-like series of turning the car off and on.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The first press should do it with no noise except the door lock mechanism which is fairly quite. I do it every night without disturbing anyone.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
completely focused is right first press locks car second press reminds you that you have locked the doors
Ah ok, I thought I read that the second press was necessary to activate the alarm. Good to know!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Is there any way to disable the horn chirp when activating the alarm? I don't want to annoy my neighbors when I arm it at night.
Mine are jerks so I was thinking about setting it off a few times a week at 4am...lol [thumb]

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Just looking through the manual that is correct. You just have to lock the doors. Even if it's with the lock button inside the car it will arm. If it's armed and you unlock the door using the key in the lock you have 12 seconds to disarm by either turning on/starting the car or hitting the unlock button on the key. To top off all this you can disable/enable two stage unlock by hold both the lock and unlock buttons on your key for four seconds. That way you can unlock the entire car with just a single button push.

Reactions: Chuck-it

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have heard there are ways to stop the chirping when locking and remote starting. Looking for another Focus owner to explain it in human terms. Charlie

·
Registered
855 Posts
Not sure on remote start.

On the 2002 Focus, there is a wire to the central locking module that you can cut and the horn will never chirp, but the lights will still flash. (But you also disable the panic alarm horn).

Not sure if it also works on newer models.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you hit the lock button in the car (center dash, next to hazard light), when you close the door your parking light will flash, letting you know it locked. And of course you can try to open the car as a double check since you ate standing there since you just closed the door.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have heard there are ways to stop the chirping when locking and remote starting. Looking for another Focus owner to explain it in human terms. Charlie
The confirmation chirp when locking (after pressing the fob a second time) or remote starting is a feature that cannot be disabled AFAIK.

The idea behind the chirp is that you get audible confirmation that your car did start (imagine walking out on a 10 degree morning to find it never started). When locking, the second press allows you to hear that the car is locked as you walk away but more importantly, the horn will chirp twice if any door is ajar or if your fob batteries are low.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Neither a good answer or a good solution.

There is supposed to be a way to disable the honk on starting. The owner's manual says you can enable Quiet Start in the Display menu settings. The 2015 manual refers to it on Page 56 and refers you to Page 96, but Page 96 does not mention it.

It is mentioned on Page 64 and 109 of the 2013 Owners manual. You also have auto, front defrost, rear defrost, and duration settings.

If you are in a subdivision at 4 in the morning, the exterior lights are supposed to flash twice to confirm that the car remotely started. If you can't see the car, you can enable the horn chirp.

If you can't see the car OR hear the horn from where you park, you probably want a better aftermarket remote start like a Viper where you can start the car remotely with your cel phone and receive confirmation that way.

As far as the door lock, I'm not sure how to disable it on newer cars. If you press the lock button, the parking lights flash. If a door is ajar, the parking lights will not flash. If you wait 3 seconds before the second key press to check if the car is locked, the horn will not chirp. Kind of annoying, but it is a workaround.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The confirmation chirp when locking (after pressing the fob a second time) or remote starting is a feature that cannot be disabled AFAIK.

The idea behind the chirp is that you get audible confirmation that your car did start (imagine walking out on a 10 degree morning to find it never started). When locking, the second press allows you to hear that the car is locked as you walk away but more importantly, the horn will chirp twice if any door is ajar or if your fob batteries are low.
My chirp just seemed to dissappear? I can hit the lock button on my fob as many times as I want and no chirp? Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
My chirp just seemed to dissappear? I can hit the lock button on my fob as many times as I want and no chirp? Has anyone else had this problem?
Yeah. Your horn isn't working. Really. Go hit the horn button on the steering wheel. A few of us have started having a problem with our horns working intermittently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The first key press locks doors from outside with one flash, the second key press within 3 seconds activates the deadlocks with 2 flashes (nobody can open the door from the inside). The 'locking confirmation' is a misprint in the manual. It makes no sense. You could press lock 20 times and it would flash every time and the solenoids would move to the lock position.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah. Your horn isn't working. Really. Go hit the horn button on the steering wheel. A few of us have started having a problem with our horns working intermittently.
Ok, so this has just happened to me as well this week. I just now returned from my garage where I tested the horn and sure enough it does not work. So I pulled the cover off the power distribution box and checked the fuse (F20) and it was good. The owners manual also shows that relay R2 is for the horn as well. However I'm not sure how to test a relay. Is this something I should just go ahead and replace under the assumption the relay went bad? Is this something I should take to the dealer as a safety defect?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok, so this has just happened to me as well this week. I just now returned from my garage where I tested the horn and sure enough it does not work. So I pulled the cover off the power distribution box and checked the fuse (F20) and it was good. The owners manual also shows that relay R2 is for the horn as well. However I'm not sure how to test a relay. Is this something I should just go ahead and replace under the assumption the relay went bad? Is this something I should take to the dealer as a safety defect?
OK, quoting my own reply now. Back in July I bought a relay from the dealer and that did not solve the problem. I finally had time about a month ago to take it to the dealer. I also had a recall for the side door latches so i figured I'd get it all done at once. They ended up replacing the horn assembly and I only paid $50 out of pocket thanks to my extended warranty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts