Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in reading about methods to flush the power steering system, I saw where Focusknot posted his method to flush the power steering fluid quickly.

So, I consulted with Focusknot with a few questions and proceeded to flush my system out.

Well, the process was straightforward, but a few things that I'll label as strange happened afterwards.

After I completed the flush, the CEL came on. I was a bit confused as to why because I hadn't touched anything electronic related, but I soon attributed this to the ECM not knowing what was going on because the old fluid was as black as tar and was rather thick. I simply disconnected the battery to clear the code and it has not returned.

The next strange thing I noticed was after about a day or so of driving, I noticed that the car had quite a bit more pickup when accelerating. Very much so noticeably more than what it had at first.

The third and final strange thing was even though the car ran extremely well and there were no CELs, the engine always felt sluggish and had an ever so slight miss when accelerating that I could not pin down. That is now gone.

Since I had to make a trip across the state right after changing the fluid, I more than likely gave the new fluid an extended time to work it's magic for me to observe these things in such a short period of time.

Obviously, the steering is much easier/smoother, but the observations that I noticed with how the engine ran and performed afterwards is something in a million years I never would've thought were related to the power steering system having burnt fluid that resembled liquid tar in it.

I'll be flushing out the power steering system probably 2 or 3 more times because the new fluid is already looking dark and I'd like to get the system to a point where the fluid looks its natural red color.

I wonder if an additive such as Seafoam Transtune would provide any benefit for the next flush. Thoughts?

Anyway, for those of you that might not have flushed out your PS system or might have a bit of a stall under acceleration such as what I had, you might want to give this a whirl.

You might be surprised. I sure was...

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
Best additive you can add is FRESH FLUID IN A TIMELY MANNER, I have never lost a power steering hard part in 40+ years by keeping the fluid from ever getting any darker than beginning to gray out. The gray color is finely ground up metal particles, what kills the hard parts and seals.

People religiously change motor oil every 3K miles and then do not touch either ATX or PS fluids at all and simply retarded to do so. Many then proceed to pay the price.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. I'm still playing catch up from what was neglected by the PO. The engine oil had been changed religiously as you described and nothing else had ever been touched.

Also, I put brake fluid in the same category of fluids that people do not change out and end up paying the price on.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
I myself am bad about brake fluid and you are correct.............

·
Registered
637 Posts
Best additive you can add is FRESH FLUID IN A TIMELY MANNER, I have never lost a power steering hard part in 40+ years by keeping the fluid from ever getting any darker than beginning to gray out. The gray color is finely ground up metal particles, what kills the hard parts and seals.

People religiously change motor oil every 3K miles and then do not touch either ATX or PS fluids at all and simply retarded to do so. Many then proceed to pay the price.

This, i bleed out old brake fluid and refill when it gets dark too.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
I wonder if an additive such as Seafoam Transtune would provide any benefit for the next flush. Thoughts
I’m not a fan of “mechanic-in-a-can” products. The only time I might try to use one would be if I felt that I had nothing to lose as in “it is broken any way”.

Your power steering system sounds like it is recovering on its own just fine using fresh fluid. I would stick with that...just keep doing what you are doing. I would think that the use of Sea Foam has the potential for negative effects on seals or other components…best leave things alone IMO.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I’m not a fan of “mechanic-in-a-can” products. The only time I might try to use one would be if I felt that I had nothing to lose as in “it is broken any way”.

Your power steering system sounds like it is recovering on its own just fine using fresh fluid. I would stick with that...just keep doing what you are doing. I would think that the use of Sea Foam has the potential for negative effects on seals or other components…best leave things alone IMO.

Amen, please don't run anything other than power steering fluid in there. Like focusknot said, it could damage the seals. Seafoam is alot like gasoline, its a bit harsh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts