Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got this used 2000 SE, and the first time I checked the oil level, the darn dipstick broke in there.

I can't fish it out because it broke off at the handle area, and part of the plunger that seals the tube is still attached to the metal stick (making it impossible to get tweasers down there).

How can I get the dipstick out, and where can I get a fast, cheap replacement for the dipstick? (The oil in this car seems to be in desperate need of a change if the Jiffy Lube sticker on the top is accurate).

Can the dipstick tube be removed, and if so, how, and is it something a relative newb to car engines can do? (I've only messed with motorcycle engines).

Thanks so much.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I think it's just the one bolt on the head and it comes right out, little O-ring to the pan, honestly don't know though.

But to get it out try using a vacuum. tape the nozzle so it's a nice small hole. Might work. They usually don't grip too tough.
If that don't work you can use an air hose on the valve cover breather and it will shoot right out, along with bunch of oil. so last resort method only. It's messy trust me lol.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Yeah just loosen the bolt and yank as hard as you can it will pop out. Then when you put it back together replace the o-ring at the end of the dipstick tube. If you need one I have a dipstick tube for sale but the dipstick.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
hehe i like that idea with the air hose and valve cover breather. funny! i would love to watch. if you try it get a friend with a camera to tape it and put it on youtube so the rest of us can watch!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there any pictures of this tube?

Do I have put the car on a jack to get to it?

I can't seem to see where the tube ends because it bends under the engine I think.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
you can pick one up at the dealer for $20 or $30 bucks. happened to me too!

I like the vacuum idea. the handle on mine pulled off so I was able to get at the metal dipstick with my fingers and got it out. Stupid cheap plastic!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer wants $15 so I'm going to go pick it up.

Do you think they'll fish the old one out for me, or not? I think I have to lift the car up to get to that bolt everyone is talking about, is that true? I don't have a jack, except the cheapo one in the back I wouldn't trust for anything that puts my head under the car.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Open your hood, it should almost be staring you in the face, lol. It's on the passenger side of the head, just below the valve cover.

See it just behind that black line?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts