Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the DD SL1 led bulb in the mk3.5 focus? Looking to buy a set for my '16 focus but wanted to know first if it will work right away plug and play with just the bulbs, or do i need to purchase a pair of the anti flicker modules from them too as well in order for it to turn on and not shut off right away or have errors? thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
For the love of god, retrofit or buy aftermarket projector headlights before using led/hid. The flash on the focus headlights are bad and literally no cutoff.

I prefer retrofitting with morimotos. You are getting quality lights. Takes some work but worth it. Its on my list.

But to answer your question, you will need a harness for the leds. Using it without will cause the them to flicker and fail. Learnt it the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I’m aware of not using led or hid bulbs in reflector housings but on DD’s website it says their bulbs are designed to work in reflector housing and not glare and blind other drivers though.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well I’m aware of not using led or hid bulbs in reflector housings but on DD’s website it says their bulbs are designed to work in reflector housing and not glare and blind other drivers though.
Unfortunately we're still at the point of technology where LEDs still don't work like halogens inside reflector housings. The glare and spread of these LEDs may very well be better than your normal amazon/ebay LEDs but they can't beat physics.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Has anyone installed the DD SL1 led bulb in the mk3.5 focus? Looking to buy a set for my '16 focus but wanted to know first if it will work right away plug and play with just the bulbs, or do i need to purchase a pair of the anti flicker modules from them too as well in order for it to turn on and not shut off right away or have errors? thanks
Buy them. The MK3.5 Has a sharp cutoff compared to the older pre face-lift focus which had horrible headlights and glare stock.... Side note, I don't know all this rambling about retrofits lol because as per the NHTSA almost every single car that had Stock DOT approved HID lights even with balancing electronics FAILED THE GLARE TEST.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
YES YES YES, Thank you. They actually provided lab certified data with equipment numbers and everything. If you wanted LED without the glare, Diode Dynamics is the way to go. Especially with the lab proven and certified SL1

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts
Buy them. The MK3.5 Has a sharp cutoff compared to the older pre face-lift focus which had horrible headlights and glare stock.... Side note, I don't know all this rambling about retrofits lol because as per the NHTSA almost every single car that had Stock DOT approved HID lights even with balancing electronics FAILED THE GLARE TEST.

Sent from my LM-V405 using FF Mobile
And we all know how far behind our headlight safety laws are compared to the EU.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YES YES YES, Thank you. They actually provided lab certified data with equipment numbers and everything. If you wanted LED without the glare, Diode Dynamics is the way to go. Especially with the lab proven and certified SL1

Sent from my LM-V405 using FF Mobile
Thank you Fabio that's what I thought. I know that Diode Dynamics is a well known company and if they said they are engineered to not blind other drivers. I will believe them. Better than buying a cheap eBay knockoff set. If i get flashed, then i will uninstall the sl1.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just installed a pair of SL1s in my 2015 Focus. Was in the process of a Morimoto projector / Xenon swap but I just don’t have the time for that now.

First off, I didn’t install the anti-flicker modules and have no flickering or bulb-out warnings, so that’s good.

Couldn’t get good cutoff/output comparison photos, but in my opinion the new cutoff is very similar to stock. Certainly doesn’t make it worse.

Output feels pretty much just like a much brighter, whiter Halogen with a much longer service life. Distribution of light (hotspots, etc) isn’t much different than stock either.

For the time-being I cranked-down my vertical adjusters a bunch and will slowly work them back up over the coming weeks to make sure I’m not blinding oncoming traffic. Will report back.

Build quality feels really nice. Materials all feel like something that would have come on a car from the factory.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For the love of god, retrofit or buy aftermarket projector headlights before using led/hid. The flash on the focus headlights are bad and literally no cutoff.

I prefer retrofitting with morimotos. You are getting quality lights. Takes some work but worth it. Its on my list.

But to answer your question, you will need a harness for the leds. Using it without will cause the them to flicker and fail. Learnt it the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Any LEDs in reflector housings = BAD is ignorance at best. The vast majority of the LED bulbs you see on Amazon/eBay totally should not be installed in reflector housings due to the glare they cause. Those banks of LEDs cannot properly focus their output to match the incandescent filament reflectors are designed to work with.

BUT the SL1s from DD are properly engineered to work in reflector housings. DD would not claim their SL1s work in reflector housings, and prominently feature that claim on their website, for that to not be true. That would open them up to false advertising lawsuits and ruin their reputation. Any company worth their salt would not risk either of those happening.

Anyways... I have had the SL1s in my Focus for almost 4 months now and love them. They are well worth the money spent. I did buy the anti-flicker module for peace of mind. I do agree with E365/5 about their qualities, but will add that the SL1s throw light farther down the road than the incandescent I had previously installed. Color is nice and white and almost perfectly match the color of the "Mustang style" fog light bezels I have installed. I cannot hear the SL1 fans running while they are on from the drivers seat. Glare is a non-issue. I stood in front of my car at various distances with the SL1s installed and was not blinded by glare. Squatting down to approximate seated height didn't change the outcome.

Installation was a PITA though. The SL1s are significantly larger than incandescent H11s behind the bulb; so it was tricky for me to get the bulbs in the socket and fit my bigger hands/fingers in the housing to twist the bulbs into place. The anti-flicker module is packed inside the housing and shouldn't move around. I did have to file down the securing post on the anti-flicker module a bit so the Ford pigtails in the headlight harness could securely attach. That post was too tall and would not let the module and the harness connect. Still genuinely recommend.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Here’s some output shots of the Diode Dynamics SL1 (H11 bulb) in my 2015+ Mk3.5 stock reflector headlights. Cutoff is quite good for a reflector in my opinion. Color seems perfect. No complaints at at all!

Two different exposures.

** Ugh, forum is uploading them upside down. **

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts