Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i have an '03 sedan with the blau headunit. I was looking to replace it mostly so i could directly hook-up and mp3 player (we have both sansas and ipods) and was looking at some of the doubleDIN size units when i realize that crutchfield and other places say it won't fit. I could *swear* that the stock unit is doubleDIN, am i wrong here? I'm not so keen on going singleDIN because i don't like the look with the little shelf below. i'm also thinking of going with something with a built in GPS.

So, after that ramble, my questions is: Just what freaking size is my stock Blau head unit if it isn't doubleDIN?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Its more like 1.8DIN or there abouts if memory serves. There are a few threads on here of people that have made modifications to the opening to fit double din receivers. A little searching should turn them up.

·
Banned
263 Posts
it is 1 1/2 din any competent stereo installer/shop should be able to easily install a double din.

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
^ I wouldnt be so sure of that. The stock radio in the 00-04 is a 1.8 din, so in order to get a double din to fit, you need to do some chopping of the dash. Its not something that a place like best buy is gunna do. check out warneej. he has a double din in his car.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yea it is 1.8 din and best buy or circuit city will not do that. Personally i have seen the people who have put a double din in and i think it looks like crap. The dash piece is curved and there is no way to make the stereo look perfect. So i would just go with a simple single din.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The thing is ... pretty much every install trim I've ever seen for the Focus when installed looks like crapola. But that's just me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
^ I wouldnt be so sure of that. The stock radio in the 00-04 is a 1.8 din, so in order to get a double din to fit, you need to do some chopping of the dash. Its not something that a place like best buy is gunna do. check out warneej. he has a double din in his car.
Yea it is 1.8 din and best buy or circuit city will not do that. Personally i have seen the people who have put a double din in and i think it looks like crap. The dash piece is curved and there is no way to make the stereo look perfect. So i would just go with a simple single din.
Depending on where u go, alot of retailers have guys that can do it. I used to do carfi at Best Buy and I could do it along with 1 other guys who was good at custom stuff. They have pricing for custom labor. If you go to any local shop that specializes in Car Audio they'd probably be able to do it and fiberglass it in or whatever. If you go to Best Buy or Circuit City ask about custom labor and if they have someone that's qualified to do it. Do NOT go to the sales floor, ask the installers. If the installers at that location cannot do it they can probably point you to another BB or CC store nearby that has someone that can do it.

And yes it is not a full double din but you can fit Full Double Din HU's in with a little trimming and light fiberglassing or bondo work, both of which you can purchase at any lowes if you want to do it yourself. Personally I've done it, it takes concentration and planning around the hazard switch but it's doable. Let me know if you have any questions, I can walk you thru the process [thumb]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quite frankly, this is starting to look like more trouble than it's worth...
good thing i have a FM transmitter, they're junk, but they're easy and for the most part work just fine. [thumb]

·
Banned
263 Posts
i have personally installed 5-6 double dins in 1st gen foc. and in several other fords with same size radio. it is very simple and takes about 10 min to trim the hole up then you just use a ford double din metra kit. i believe 95-5812. it is actually very simple no fiberglass/bondo needed. like i said any competent stereo shop, never considered BB or CC a real stereo shop they just sale car audio and install what they sale would never recommend them for custom work and they usually employ basic skilled install techs. of course there are a few that are a little more talented but they do not offer pay anywhere around what an accomplished installer would make/work for. i am not trying to be offensive and am sure to get all kinds of retaliation from that statement.and all i got to see is you never see best buy where high-end audio jobs are.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
^^^true. It isn't very hard to do but if you really want it to look good you will have to use bondo or fiberglass. The trim piece is curved and no double din is curved so it really looks out of place.

·
Banned
263 Posts
that metra piece is curved

·
Registered
0 Posts
http://img283.imageshack.us/img283/3005/kenwoodddx7017installedpoweron.jpg

its not going to be perfect but duraglass is very simple to lay and sand. then a couple coats of spraypaint and your done. if you want to mold it in that is
Personally that looks absoultely horrible IMO, it looks like it was morphed by frankenstein to fit in there. I'd still rather do fiberglass and bondo to make it look right. Not trashing on your's by any means, it just doesn't look right.

·
Banned
263 Posts
not mine and definitely not an install kit i would use just thought a reference pic would be good. couldnt find a better one. found pic on google

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just get a Jensen VM9018 its a 1.8DIN DVD its about $500+ or around there but you wont have to do anything custom to make it fit lol Well as far as I know.

Sorry to dig up an old post, I was looking for information on the same subject and thought I would put in my 2cents ;)

·
Banned
263 Posts
yea but then you have a jenson soure thats more of a downgrade. especially the audiofile source

·
Registered
102 Posts
All depends on what you want, if you want that style DvD deck then there are not many options out there. This is actualy the only one I found lol, if you want a good DvD deck then just buy a single with the flip screen I guess.

This is pretty much exactly what the original poster was asking for though style wise ;) No one even mentioned product quality lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts