Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Family!

I have the 2003 ZX5 2.3L and I am having trouble with the Check Engine Light.

My personal OBDII Scanner reports no errors.

I took the vehicle in for a smog check today and was told 'Yer car checks out but I can't give ya the certificate for DMV. I ain't gonna charge ya but yer car ain't smoggin' cause that check engine light is on, though be it dim. The computer says that damn light ain't on but it sure enough is, ain't it? Fix this darn light and you can have your smog certificate'.

This light has been half illuminated for over two years and was over looked last time I smoged.

The battery was once accidentally installed backwards.

One time, my car over heated and the light was fully illuminated for that period in time but once the screw up was corrected the light went back to half illuminated. (When I say half illuminated I mean half as bright and not half of the indicator is lighted. 100% of the icon is 50% bright).

There are NO DIAGNOSTIC ERRORS.

My question to you is: How do I fix this half illuminated light and return it back to its normal function?

Thank you very much for reading this thread and any help you can give me.

Focus Fanatic Forever![twothumbs]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You can try taking the clluster out/apart & clean the back of the P.C. board.

Half illuminated lights have been reported a number of times from crud conducting electricity where it shouldn't be.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
'The battery was once accidentally installed backwards.'

Didn't start then did it?, a good way to make that happen. You have a mild short somewhere............read what the guy above me says, possible.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Take some rubbing alcohol and a handful of Q-tips, and clean the gauge cluster as Sailor suggested.
Replace any dead bulbs while you're in there.
Before you reinstall it, check that everything's working again. If the CEL is still on, you could always remove the bulb as a way to pass the smog test...not that I'm recommending such a dastardly trick, of course.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
If you are going to do that then use a pencil eraser on it too, the alcohol by itself will not remove corrosion off of contacts. The eraser will.

The inspector looks specifically for the CEL coming on when key switched on, then it must go back out, that popping the bulb idea will work only if he is a pure idiot. He must see bulb at least work to know it the system will work or failed inspection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts