Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 ZX3 with standard brakes, i.e. not ABS (anti-lock brake system). But ever since I bought the car (used) the ABS light has been ON but dim at all times, even when the ignition is in the off position and the key is removed.

This was only a curiosity until I recently bought an SCT X4 tuner. It won't upload any tunes to the ECU, because of an electrical problem in the car. I have been around and around with tech support (good people), have pulled every fuse I can think of to cure that, and the likely conclusion is that whatever is lighting the ABS light is the problem.

There are three ABS-related fuses listed in the manual for my car, but those spots were vacant.

Any thoughts on where the ghost may be in my electrical system?

·
Super Moderator
9,557 Posts
Moved this to "Focus Tuning Chat" as it might get a better answer here. You can probably talk with Tom(1turbofocus) on here and I am sure he can help you out with your tuner problems.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
For the ABS light you may find some useful info. in the General Tech Chat section.

Dim lights have often been fixed by cleaning up the PC 'board" at the back of the instrument cluster. Crud can develop there which connects circuits that are supposed to be separate - not a GOOD contact, which is why the light is dim.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Sailor. ABS light fixed (but the SCT still won't upload -- I will start a separate thread on that).

I pulled the panel and cleaned the PC board. I checked it with a magnifying glass first, and spotted just one "hair" -- from a solder dot to and adjacent conductor, and in the general vicinity of the ABS light. At the same time I cleaned up the ground connectors in the engine bay. The ABS light is now out, and the dim battery light (in key off position) is also now out. Likely the instrument panel PC board was the problem.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Great to hear one part worked out for you at least, don't have to worry now about that being part of the problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, now some connected problems have cropped up.

The night I cleaned up the instrument panel PC board, two of its illumination lights failed. Tonight, a few days later the third one failed (leaving me in the dark). It seems this can't be just coincidence. I hadn't removed any of the bulbs, and I used isopropyl alcohol to clean with, as recommended in several threads I have seen.

Any idea what has gone wrong?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts