Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a simple answer, with hopefully a simple and inexpensive fix.

When the weather is cold, I find it difficult to put my car fully into gear. It appears to be more of a problem going to first or reverse than 2nd - 5th (trying to move shifter around with clutch held in not moving of course).

I know that this is due to it being cold out. But I just wanted to know if there is anything I can do before the cold weather hits to prevent this from happening?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
That seems to be fairly normal behaviour - awkwardness engaging first or reverse after a dead cold start. I simply do this; start the car and move the shift lever to the "neutral position" and let out the clutch so that the gearbox oil gets churned around a bit and warmed up. Fully selecting another gear prior to selecting first or reverse also seems to help.
Other than a block heater - which should help warm everything up quicker - I doubt there's any specific problem to address if everything performs normally when fully warm.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
BC's got it

Just hit another gear first before selecting the tough ones. By the next time you're at a stop the trans will be warm enough to shift normally.

If you stop again soon & it's not yet warmed up, just do it the same way again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts