Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as I get the joy of watching some prices get dropped every week as we slowly go out of buisness, I was thinking how difficult would it be to install a security system in a focus I drive a 2008 S sedan. Which brings up another question is it possible to install security system in a S since there are no power windows nor locks or anything.

I know my way around wireing, I did do all my audio work and install in many of my friends car. I just have never really looked at a security sytem and how to install it.

Any help is welcomed and thanked. And if Im just wasteing my time, let me know, I just have put a good amount of cash into my car already and dont need it stolen as the economy gets tighter for everyone.[ffrocks]

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Have a professional do it. Security and audio systems have nothing in common. There is a ton more in a security system and you can mess stuff up bad.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok but then you are saying that it is possible to install on a non powered window, lock, ect car. ?
That was another question I have.
If its really that difficult I deff will hav a proffesional install it because I dont need to go messin anything up.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Actually, not having power windows/locks may make it easier. You just wouldn't be able to lock/unlock your car from the key fob (obviously). The fob would just arm/disarm the alarm.

A straight up security system wouldn't be that bad to install. It's when you start to add remote start, extra sensors, power locks/windows, etc. that it starts to get difficult. However, watch our. I know all DEI brands (Viper, Python, etc.) don't honor their lifetime warranty (or will try not to) unless the system was put in professionally.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Pretty sure. I know you won't be able to have keyless entry and all that buy I am pretty sure you can install the security system on it.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Same time post lol

I would just leave it to a professional. And sometimes you can score a free install on some systems.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
should only be a constant, accy, ground, door triggers, hood pin, siren and trunk pin that you should have to hook up for an alarm if i am correct if you do not have power locks

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
And sometimes you can score a free install on some systems.
Coming from someone that sold car audio/security, let me tell you, install is never free. It's always built into the product cost. However, many places won't sell the system without install, and if they do, they sell it for a price very close to the price with install....

However, in this case, it sounds like there is a chance to get something at a deep discount. I say go for it. Do you have a model or brand or anything?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well we have a couple a vouple different brands one i belive is a pythin another is a hornet, and some other brand.
As for exact brand and model I would get will depend on what i end up getting it for. Ill prob go for a cheaper one. And see if I can get my friends thier that do the installs to do one more, if its not to difficult ill tryi it myself.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Python and Hornet are both DEI brands. Python is the only one with the lifetime warranty (the one voided by a non-professional install). They are a good brand. I'd suggest one of them and see if someone that does installs would do it for cheap on the side.

Hornet's not bad, but it's DEI's entry level/DIY brand.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You can still have the keyless entry remote lock/unlock. They just install actuators on your locks, for a fee. It won't add switches to the interior of your car, but you'll be able to use the fob from afar. If you're getting a great deal on the stuff anyways, you might as well spend a few more bucks and have them put in the little extras...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^That's an option, but it usually ends up getting pretty costly. It depends how much he could get it done for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts