Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 SE's hatch is a hassle to open. I hit the key fob 2x and hear it unlock, but when I try to open the hatch (and press the button on the actual hatch) it won't open for quite a few seconds (5+ seconds of fiddling with it). Maybe I need to NOT also hit the button on the actual hatch.
I'll have to try it a few times to be sure I'm remembering the details exactly correctly but just remembered that I've been meaning to ask here about it.

It also takes way too long to open if I just the hatch's button above the license plate w/o hitting the key fob.

As a reference, our 2005 Caravan opens right away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You are correct. Once you open the hatch with the remote, you just need to lift it because at that point, it's already open/unlocked

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just tried it (via the key fob)...after I heard it click once I was probably trying to open it right away is the problem.

This time I waited and verified it needs to click twice...why I don't know, and why they delay a long 1 or 2 seconds between "clicks" is beyond me. Maybe it has two locking mechanisms like hoods have for safety.

It could be quicker (especially when holding many pounds of hockey gear at midnight!).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine seems to have a delay in colder weather. I've just gotten to where I hit the dash button or the fob button to pop it so it's released by the time I get there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the same issue a few years back. What I found to help the situation was adjusting the (for lack of better words) hatch bumpers. For some reason mine had backed out and were putting a lot of pressure on the hatch. When I would press the fob to open the hatch, I assume the pressure on the hatch was causing it to not unlatch properly every single time. I tightened those down so there wasn't so much pressure on the hatch (set them so the hatch was just barely resting on them when closed) and the issue was fixed.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I had the same issue a few years back. What I found to help the situation was adjusting the (for lack of better words) hatch bumpers. For some reason mine had backed out and were putting a lot of pressure on the hatch. When I would press the fob to open the hatch, I assume the pressure on the hatch was causing it to not unlatch properly every single time. I tightened those down so there wasn't so much pressure on the hatch (set them so the hatch was just barely resting on them when closed) and the issue was fixed.
Could you post a picture of what is "hatch bumpers" ?

I think it's the same thing as what define the hood position compared to the bumper, but I am afraid that it's not it because there's none in the hatch area (see what I am talking about).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Could you post a picture of what is "hatch bumpers" ?

I think it's the same thing as what define the hood position compared to the bumper, but I am afraid that it's not it because there's none in the hatch area (see what I am talking about).
Sorry I don't know the exact term for them haha But atleast on my 07' focus hatch they are located on the hatch itself. You can screw them in or out to adjust how long they are and thus how much pressure is placed on the hatch when closed. If they are extended too far and too much pressure if placed on the hatch, that can cause trouble with unlatching.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Sorry I don't know the exact term for them haha But atleast on my 07' focus hatch they are located on the hatch itself. You can screw them in or out to adjust how long they are and thus how much pressure is placed on the hatch when closed. If they are extended too far and too much pressure if placed on the hatch, that can cause trouble with unlatching
Haha. Yeah, I don't know the term either... anyway, thank for the pictures.

·
Registered
26 Posts
intelligent key??? if so. u just get close to the hatch and press the button and lift it at the same time (i do it all the time and it works fine, dont bother to press the key button 2 times). but if u locked the car (with the touch pad), u need to wait for 2-3 seconds before u unlock the hatch (or touch door handles again).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I figured out one issue. In another thread a guy noticed the hatch won't lock if the key is in the car in back, near the hatch. Hard to believe but another guy verified it.

The other night I double clicked on the keyfob to unlock the hatch from far away. I figured it would have completed the "double unlocking/clicking" well before I got to the car. But the second "click" (of the hatch unlocking) did not occur until I got very close to the car, so it does seem to have a proximity sensor.

PS: I don't recall seeing bumpers/stoppers on my 2013 hatch (like cars have had for eons under the trunk lids and hoods - you screw them in or out to adjust the height of the trunk or hood).. Seems they must have the rubber bumpers somewhere though.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I wonder of there is a kit you can get to make it open easier or maybe by itself all together. I installed a strut on my other cars trunk and it goes up as soon as the button is pressed.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've wondered if I could mod it too. I would love it to open like a minivan. It's crazy that it DOESN'T do that.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick question as I head off to work: When I turn the car off, my headlights still turn off. I ensured the delay was set to xx seconds in the menu....do I need to have the switch set to auto? I doubt it...the lights used to stay on and I doubt I ever used the auto setting.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Quick question as I head off to work: When I turn the car off, my headlights still turn off. I ensured the delay was set to xx seconds in the menu....do I need to have the switch set to auto? I doubt it...the lights used to stay on and I doubt I ever used the auto setting.
This is what I was able to find in the Owner Manual:

"HEADLAMP EXIT DELAY
After you switch the ignition off, you can switch the headlamps on by pulling the direction indicator lever toward you. You will hear a short tone. The headlamps will switch off automatically after three minutes with any door open or 30 seconds after the last door has been closed. You can cancel this feature by pulling the direction indicator toward you again or switching the ignition on."

Meagan

·
Registered
73 Posts
In regards to the hatch, I noticed two key things that affect my 2013 Titanium.

1. When the hatch is unlocked, it takes only the slightest bit of movement with the car for it to re-latch. This essentially makes the hatch button inside the car useless because the act of closing the car door causes the hatch to re-latch.

2. My Focus's ability to detect a IAK sucks. I notice this most when trying to unlock the door with the key still in my pocket. Dealer says everything is normal, but often times I have to grab the door handle several times or the rear door handle before the car unlocks. I assume this is the same reason why my hatch doesn't always unlock on the first attempt requiring me to push the button several times (the button on the hatch, not the IAK).

Since someone pointed out that the hatch has adjustable bumpers/stops, I'm going to look at that to see if it helps with the hatch re-latching. That would eliminate at least one frustration.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
2. My Focus's ability to detect a IAK sucks. I notice this most when trying to unlock the door with the key still in my pocket. Dealer says everything is normal, but often times I have to grab the door handle several times or the rear door handle before the car unlocks. I assume this is the same reason why my hatch doesn't always unlock on the first attempt requiring me to push the button several times (the button on the hatch, not the IAK).
There's a TSB about that: TSB 14-0078

·
Registered
73 Posts
There's a TSB about that: TSB 14-0078
Thank you for that link, I am going to mention it again next time I go in for an oil change.

Reading that TSB is a little confusing in that they use the word "intermittent" in the problem description, but it seems that a single attempt unlocking the door is enough to get the technician to 2.a. ("this article does not apply") in the decision tree.

Also, why doesn't the TSB apply to the rear doors? Were those getting sealed correctly from day 1, but the front doors weren't?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Thank you for that link, I am going to mention it again next time I go in for an oil change.

Reading that TSB is a little confusing in that they use the word "intermittent" in the problem description, but it seems that a single attempt unlocking the door is enough to get the technician to 2.a. ("this article does not apply") in the decision tree.

Also, why doesn't the TSB apply to the rear doors? Were those getting sealed correctly from day 1, but the front doors weren't?
Yes, it is confusing. If you insist enough, they'll will do it even if they don't see it.

I don't know why the rear aren't affected.

And yes, it's probably the reason - factory installation problem.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
In regards to the hatch, I noticed two key things that affect my 2013 Titanium.

1. When the hatch is unlocked, it takes only the slightest bit of movement with the car for it to re-latch. This essentially makes the hatch button inside the car useless because the act of closing the car door causes the hatch to re-latch.

Since someone pointed out that the hatch has adjustable bumpers/stops, I'm going to look at that to see if it helps with the hatch re-latching. That would eliminate at least one frustration.
I'm happy to look into some additional assistance on this. Please send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll get started. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't use the auto headlight feature since I want my lights on when it's sort of dark out (days are short and it is very cloudy here for months in winter). I used the auto mode however today, and it kept the headlights on after I got out of the car in my garage.

I'm fairly sure the lights stayed on though many months ago when switched to "off". My wife said her Caravan only leaves them when she either turns the engine off before the lights (or visa versa?). I ought to listen to my wife more closely. :)

The hatch drives me nuts - takes a lifetime for the second "click" (when it unlocks fully). I'm ready to rip the hatch right off the car at times. I'll read the TSB...

The alarm has gone off on accident a few times. Last night I shut the hood the hood with the car locked, causing the alarm/horn to go off at 11PM in the garage. oops! When I bought the car (2013 SE), I didn't realize it had an alarm.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts