Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 ZX3 MTX75: Difficult to engage and disengage gears while automobile's on, but easy to shift when automobile is off. With vehicle off, I engage into any gear, then ignite engine, clutch applies fine to the gear selected, vehicle moves normally, but of course difficult to disengage. As assumed, if forced, gear grinds. Also, burning smell ensues. Anyone be as so kind as to give me their thoughts on what this may be before I dismantle and inspect everything?

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
The isnt disengaging all the way is what it sounds like. That smell is from the clutch buring. Did you check brake fluid or master cylinder? We have hydraulic clutches and they fail more often.

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
i would guess clutch as well, though i am no expert....

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I had a Volkswagen that in it's final days wouldn't go into gear at a stop, but turning the engine off and then restarting the car in first it would work fine... I think that was the syncros going out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clutch functions correctly when in gear... the difficult is getting it in/out of gears... I did check the fluid in the transmission lately. Brown =\ (And I don't know for how long). Changing it today when I find a tool to do so with. (I just purchased the vehicle last week, haven't really driven it, so I can't say how long it's been brown for.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts