Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is the best Aftermarket Differential for the SVT Focus?

I've seen Quaife,Torsen T2,Phantom grip all make differentials.

Does anyone have any of these on their ride?

Paulie

·
Registered
55 Posts
A friend of mine has a Quaife in his highly modified Taurus SHO. He says the thing is nearly bulletproof, but it demands a transaxle cooler. He's been leaning on me really hard to get the SVTF version.

The Quaife is based on the same principle as the Torsen. They should give similar results.

·
Registered
990 Posts
quaife

i have a quaife in my road race prepped svtf. it is bulletproof and carries a lifetime warranty, even in race cars. if you look at one you will see that it would be very hard to hurt it. basically a worm gear setup, unlike typical limited slip cluch packs. btw, phenomenal performance on track.

·
Registered
990 Posts
what

its been covered a lot but anyway. with an open diff, if one wheel loses traction, all power will flow to it. that would happen in a tight high speed turn for instance. with a l/s setup the other wheel retains power. if you do a search for quaife usa, their site has a very good explanation of the hows and whys of limited slip. i can tell you this. at summit point, a 2 mile, 10 turn course, my quaife was worth 2 seconds a lap. p.s. just looked it up. www.quaifeusa.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quaife. Superb quality.

Going for one when my track baby gets turboed on january.

Garyk, thanks a lot fot the track time info. I really needed to hear someone say something like that.

I race rallies more than track, and lsd's are also vital. (any extra info about your lsd would be highly appreciated)[thumb]

·
Registered
990 Posts
info

just a word of warning. it is a pain to install. not particularly hard, just time consuming. my only regret is that there wasnt a lightweight flywheel available when we put quaife in. (i think i bought the 1st one bat sold. they didnt know it was available when i called to order) it would have been a lot easier to install flywheel 1st time we had it apart. that said, the unit seems bulletproof. i liked it so much, i took it out to dinner before install. you'll love it for rallying if youre on dirt. where i feel the effects the most is actually on fast, high speed turns like turn 10 at summit (90 degree 90mph corner). cant imagine life w/o it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: info

garyk said:
just a word of warning. it is a pain to install. not particularly hard, just time consuming. my only regret is that there wasnt a lightweight flywheel available when we put quaife in. (i think i bought the 1st one bat sold. they didnt know it was available when i called to order) it would have been a lot easier to install flywheel 1st time we had it apart. that said, the unit seems bulletproof. i liked it so much, i took it out to dinner before install. you'll love it for rallying if youre on dirt. where i feel the effects the most is actually on fast, high speed turns like turn 10 at summit (90 degree 90mph corner). cant imagine life w/o it.
Thanks a lot garyk. [thumb]

This chat could go now to a lightweight flywheel debate (Focus Spot vs. Fidanza vs Clutchmasters). It's a pity that it would go out of topic.[thumb]

·
Registered
990 Posts
flywheel

marcy makes one but it is ungodly expensive. the svt clutch/flywheel combo is 1500 dollars.[headbang]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Has anyone used the phantom grip unit - it's had some coverage in mags, but I coming up short on actual testimonial.

·
Registered
507 Posts
cantfocus, were did you get the baby in the womb shifting. freaking cool. were can I get that

·
Registered
711 Posts
whats the best place to get a Quaife, price wise I mean of course since everywhere sells the same one for the SVT, or is $995 the price everyone sells for??

F

·
0 Posts
I know you can get it for 595 @ spmotorsports.com - Thats for a ZX3...not sure of SVTF though...worth a look.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Its gonna cost anywhere from 995 to 1300 depending where you get it from.

·
Registered
831 Posts
faultlessfocus said:
I know you can get it for 595 @ spmotorsports.com - Thats for a ZX3...not sure of SVTF though...worth a look.
I asked they don't sell the SVT one!!!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
iwastei said:
Which is the best Aftermarket Differential for the SVT Focus?

I've seen Quaife,Torsen T2,Phantom grip all make differentials.

Does anyone have any of these on their ride?

Paulie
I've got the Quaife,couldn't pass up the lifetime warrantee...BOTH wheels hookup under boost, especially well thru the turns...

·
Registered
990 Posts
DarkSVT said:
Any words on the Phantom Grip? They have one specifically for the SVTF.
here is a word NO NO NO to phantom grip...turbo tom has seen a number of them blow up...and the zx3 quaife is 595 and the svt is 995

·
Registered
13 Posts
garyk said:
here is a word NO NO NO to phantom grip...turbo tom has seen a number of them blow up...and the zx3 quaife is 595 and the svt is 995
Thanks for the advice![thumb]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts