Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys looking to get a tune put on my 2000 auto ZX3 zetec... i see chips for sale that will change shift points and all that and i also see xcal 2 and xcal3 for sale, in your alls opinions what is the best bet for the price? is there a difference between xcal2 and xcal3? once you get the programmer what else do you need? thanks for the help!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ur only real option which is semi cheap, w/o going into sniper software, is the xcal's. the newest one is the xcalIII. the xcal1 and xcal2 are just previous models. you don't really wanna risk getting a used one cause if its not unlocked, then you have to pay to get it unlocked. just get the xcal3. Get it from Tom, pay the extra 20 bucks for his custom tune. you won't regret it!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is tuning with the xcal's that noticable other than shift points, in abilene here they only have 91 octane.. i know everyone tunes theres to 93 octane. do people really screw you over selling locked programmers???? is there anything else to look out for buying a used xcal

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yeah don't buy a used one, like mlbbaseball said you will end up paying more if you end up with a locked one, which is pretty likely just from what I have read, save up and do it right. Do us all a favor and go through Tom as he is the man when it comes to the focus, plus as long as you stay NA you get tunes as long as you have the Xcal from him....
Performance wise you may not notice much right off, but the real advantage to having one is the flexibility it gives you for future upgrades, and tuneability (is that even a word?) as well. It doesn't really matter if you are running 91 octane as that can be accommodated for in your tune. It came in handy for myself when I got a long tube header, as I just called up Focus Sport for a new tune to delete the rear O2 sensor, that way I have no CEL. Not only that, but it got rid of the lean out at freeway speed, smoothed out idle, deleted the pesky egr, deleted the rear O2, gave me a rev limiter, launch control, and not one that I ever use, but I know some need it, and that is to delete the speed governor. It cost a lot, but definitly worth it in the long run if you plan to do any modding, just my .02 cents....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
o dang i guess you cant beat that, i messaged him and ill be savin for his tune, next paycheck its on, o one last question about the tuner....if i was to do a MTX swap will the tuner i used for my auto work on the manual tranny??? i imagine i would have to return to stock then load another tune onto it.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ya, it should, you may need to get it reflashed though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so the xcal3 programs the stock ecu with no other hardware needed??? then if i was to do a MTX swap with the MTX ecu i can load a tune from my xcal3 onto the new MTX ecu without buying anything else??? am i right?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ya pretty much, but when you do an MTX swap, you have to change ECU's, therefore, you have a different ecu code, so you would need to unlock ur programmer from sct for 100 bucks or so, then its golden again, and you can retune it. or tom may be able to help you get arond the extra fee too, but ya, basically you got it.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
ugh... where do i start.

91 will be fine and worth it.

For the mtx swap, if you have the tuner, NO you do NOT need to swap ECU's. There are two options, one is to swap ECU's and wiring harnesses completely, the other is to do some cutting/splicing and change a few things in your tune. Most notably you need to change the OSS scalar to 26 and make a few changes in 2 other places in the tune. I'll make a list of what your tuner needs to do and post it in my thread.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159071

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
also if you do go the mtx ECU/harness route, all you need to do is take your atx ECU back to stock, unlock your xcal (free!), and get a new tune for the mtx ecu's strategy (usually your tuner will charge a small fee, $30 or so)

in my opinion there is really no reason to go swapping out wiring harnesses and ECU's just makes the whole thing a pain, remember you have to go to Ford and get the PATS re-done on the new mtx one.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good help! thanks for the heads up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts