Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the scores on Tire Rack for the different types of tires and noticed a difference. Are they rated differently? I see some performance all season tires rated much better than some ultra high performance tires. It seems like the Ultra HP tires should be getting higher scores. I think it was the Pirelli Cinturino P7 that had the highest number of excellent scores. I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Scores are marked by normal real people. the users of most ultra high performance tires do not buy and rate ordinary tires.
So the scores are within each rating catagory, and not a universal rating catagory.
Plus ultra high performance users ARE going to be fussier... Than common slob tire users. (slob is my euphemism)
Maybe ordinary folks are way more enthusiastic that the tires they bought roll, and generally work... and last longer than six months...
vs the fussier crazed maniacs who opt for high performance rubber.. those folks probably expect the tires to stick like glue even when in gravel, and turn on a dime even when going 110mph.. (I know that is what I expect) and get mad when the tires only last six weeks instead of six whole months. (all the while they were doing endless burnouts to impress the Saturday Night crowd)

My gripe is the comparos lump all sizes together.. Even though there is a huge difference in behavior of a 15" 60 aspect vs a 18" 40 aspect tire. Same name and brand, but those two sizes are totally different and i doubt any characteristic noted by a user of one would apply to the other except tread design.
One help would be for user reviews to include the complete size info they actually owed.
Like "my GummyBear wumpstepper Fg6 were 215/50/17 size...." etc.

Also the issue of comparing all season to snow in the snow ratings of light snow, heavy snow and ice. The best all season have very close to equal ratings as snow tires.. Yet all agree snow tires are way better in those areas.. So it is obvious the ratings do not cross the type of tire barriers.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Agreed

Reading the test comments and user comments once the selection is narrowed down gave me a better feel for differences than the ratings.

Sticking to reports on cars of similar size helps with the size differences Elizabeth noted, and the user comments give you an impression of whether the comments come from a person with similar preferences to your own.

When looking for a summer performance/might auto-x, reports from those who had done the occasional track day but didn't buy for dedicated auto-X helped make my decision for example.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I also go into the individual reviews, sort by mileage and for spirited driving style. I am only interested in reviews for people that have used the tires for a decent amount of time and similar car/driving habits for what i am looking for.

I am not interested in hearing that the tires were awesome after only driving them for 100 miles or less and how they are so much better than your old, bald tires.

The head to head tests/comparisons that tire rack does are cool, wish they would do more of them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts