Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not totally sure but when the car is in "S" gear does the engine setting change? As in Honda VTEC engines? What im asking is it possible to manually shift(but still baby the car to get good MPG) so that you can shift better in city driving than typical automatic transmitions who get confused in city driving?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i think your confused with what vtec actually is.

but anyways if its anything like the RVR i just had as a rental that had drive and then a select shift thing were you changed the gears yourself.

i noticed that when i do the gears myself im about 300-400rpm higher then if it was in D.

eg. 70km/h in 6th where i shift gears was 2100rpm. going down the street and drop it in D it went to 1700-1800. so it had some kind of overdirve it engaged. not sure if it does the same in the focus but you can always check that yourself and at crusing rpm go between the 2 to see any rpm increase.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know without maunuallt shifting "S" shifts higher and has a cruising rpm is higher. Im saying in "S" mode but manually shifting. i can shift into higher gears quicker and more practically on city streets. Does the engine function the EXACT same in "D" as it does in "S"

My previous car was a honda and I know what Vtec is and i was wonder if while in sport mode it acually works like"VTEC" does. where if i have the car in "S" does it us more power and more gas....similar to Vtec where when you reach higher RPMs the camshaft opens more to allow more airflow. but this more power means your burning more gas.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
possible that it changes cam timing a bit but it doesn't switch cam grinds or anything. and common sense is higher cruising rpm = burns more fuel.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i assumed thats what he was doing anyways? shifting them himself.
Yea thats what I am doing. and Im dont let it go into higher RPMs. I drive it like a regular manual car with the syntronic shift. I was just wondering is sport mode really means sport mode or nothing changes and you can shift on your own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts