Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally getting around the time to put in the set of components I bought early this year. Yea, I am slow I know. [sleeping]
For anyone who really wants to know what kind they are cadence CVL5k.
Specs:
5.25" 4 Ohm Woofer..........I bought them for the old '94 Intrepid so that is why they are the 5.25" model
3" High Temperature Voice Coil
RMS Power: 150
Peak Power: 250
Frequency Response: 40Hz-22KHz
Sensitivity: 95db @ 1W/1M
Mounting Depth: 2-1/3"
Butyl Rubber Surround
High Strength Mica Filled Polypropylene Cone
Diamond Cut Dampened Cast Aluminum Frame
25mm Ferro Fluid Cooled Silk Dome Neodymium Tweeter
External Crossover
14 Gauge Wire Terminals

The real problem is the tweeter mount. How would I go about installing them in the 05? I have pretty much narrowed it down to the a-pillar. Seems like the most logical choice and looks very good in most applications.
So, could someone out there give me a good idea about how to flush mount the tweeters in the a-pillar? [dunno]

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I want components as well but i dont have the slightest clue what to do with the tweeter, I know you can buy kick panels from crutchfield with the speaker and tweeter spots but those are around 150 bucks which is WAY to much. I have seen the you can put them in the little circle air vents seen here and here

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have 5.25" components front and back and i mounted the tweeters on the speaker plates that i made to fit the speakers in the stock locations. If necessicary i can take a my door panel off and take pictures for you guys.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Matt: I do have power locks. I wish I could do that place though. It looks really, really nice.

nickl: Was that a custom plate? I think that is the way I could go as long as it doesn't sound like crap. I would like to see a pic to see if that is what I would like to do. Sounds like it would be a little easier then cutting the a-pillar.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Usually when installing components I beleive you want the tweet and woofer fairly close. Lots of people mount them on the pillar so I'm guessing it works fine there. As far as flush mounting them I had a Del Sol and milled some very sweet brushed aluminum mounts for a Infinity Kapa set. You basically need a hole big enough for the tweeter to set in then a lip around the edge so the mount doesn't go through the hole your mounting it in. Without a mill you're going to have to get creative. My guess is maybe use a hole saw bit for a drill. Otherwise I've also made small fiberglass pods that contour to the pillar they look nice as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think since I do not have the tools and such to do my own work I will see about getting a plate made that installs both the woofer and tweeter in the factory place. I am sure it will be fine there. The tweeters have a swivel mount that I can adjust so that will help out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I will try to get some pics up tomorrow. But i used some 3/8 mdf board and i used a plate by metra that was made for a 5.25 speaker with a tweeter mount built in for a template for my plates.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool no prob.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well it depends on how good you want it to sound lol. You want the tweeter and midrange to be within 12" of eachother if they are not ladies voices will not sound right. Using ford focuses factory locations are fine for the mid range will throw the sound off alittle bit, but if you put the tweeters in that same spot as the mid range the sound staging will be so bad not even god himself that fix it. not putting them in the pillar is fine and will give you a higher and wider stage sound so thats good thats what the goal is. simply measure where you want to drill the hole buy a whole saw bit for your drill about 20$ drill the whole in it and depending on how there flush mount is It should beable to be held from behind the mount. and simply push in the tweeter and run your wiring down the pillar. I should warn you many kids think its great having the tweeters point at your ears. A sound q trick i will tell you Aim them towards the front so its bouncing off the windshield that will help with the brightness and make it sound alot more centered to your ear. Trust MEE!!! i have been winning shows for years in audio. Now last The best thing you can do in are type of car. is to get a shop to build you custom kick panels which will fix all your sound staging problems that will happen. Or simply go to crutchfield and buy from q logic there custom kick panels which will save your tons of money and are just as good if installed right. Good luck with everything i hope i could help you alittle

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I AM more interested in the SQ aspect of audio. That is why the two 12"s and 600 watt amp aren't changing in the trunk. It is also why I bought the set of components I did. A guy I met online used to run these exact same components in his Galant in TX and he won just about every SQ contest he entered. I did go to a shop and get some advice from them as well.

This is going to be done right. It also needs to be done ASAP because the factory stuff is going out. Thanks for all the tips, all is appreciated.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I didn't use these but i used these as a template so that i could cut them out of 3/8" mdf board. I havn't had time to actually take my door panels off and take actual pics. I know it will throw off the sound stage but i just didn't want to cut anything for the tweeter mounts. It sounds good to me at least.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i wouldn't use them for the actual mounting but they work well as a template. They are too thin IMO to be used for a good mount.

·
Jetsetter
6,656 Posts
look into kick panels, they can be somewhat expensive, but i have them and they really set up the system nice, still offer clear and crisp sound and puts the sound stage in the right location just my $.02

·
Registered
73 Posts
look into kick panels, they can be somewhat expensive, but i have them and they really set up the system nice, still offer clear and crisp sound and puts the sound stage in the right location just my $.02
See now you have me and someone else telling you that lol. You need kick panels. The sound stage will be good with them and without them it will be crap

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE: Got the components installed late last week. I ended up just taking it to a local shop since I really didn't have the tools and such to do this job. It took them almost six hours to do it all. For me to do it, I would probably still be on the first door. I do not mind supporting local business since they do an excellent job. They ended up getting the tweet and woofer in the door with a plate made out of MDF.

Also, they do not sound like garbage. Man, to think that there is only one way to do something is stupid. I will admit the sound stage is off just a little bit, but all in all, I have no complaints and neither does anyone else that has heard it. Pics to come when I get around to it I guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts