Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I had a CV joint go bad and because I'm a cheap skate I picked used one at the local pull-a-part. What is weird about the junkyard piece is that it is a much smaller diameter axle. Thet are both from 2012 DCT sedans but my old one was from an SEL and the "new" one was off an S. They both are interchangable as far as fitment but I wonder about the strength of the thinner axle and if they are in fact trim specific.

Attachments

w/ my magic bag
Look at the diameter under the clamps, looks similar size. Your old could very well could be hollow vs solid.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm I hadn't thought about that the bigger one may be hollow. They will both have the same weak points ,but unless the larger one is hollow and has thin walls, it will be more rigid.

w/ my magic bag
I'd rather have a solid one, then a hollow one...

Registered
X2, but really no difference there. Run the crap out of them. Ford has run both types since way back to the first FWDs. Some used to even have a huge vibration damper right in the middle of the shaft as big in OD as the CV but they dropped them when they realized the axles are too small in OD to really generate any vibration, why they are not balanced. So they dropped the damper.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I'd rather have a solid one, then a hollow one...
I have actually had to do quite a few practice problems like this situation. The larger shaft is almost certainly more rigid. I'll cut up the bad half shaft later to see what exactly situation is.

Registered
I have a 2012 S MTX. I looked at my axles the other day and I have the larger diameter axle like you had on your car. I know when I am looking at parts for my 2012 some have a pre / post build date specification. I believe my car falls into the pre category. I am wondering if at some point during the 2012 model year Ford changed to the smaller diameter axle? Can someone with a later model year take a look at the axles on your car?

Registered
More like two boxes from different vendors on the assembly line at the same time, they take from one box then the other. They do that all the time.

To the OP, the bigger section may well be hollow, they did that too. AND, the shaft is no stronger than the thinnest part of it and even can be weaker at the diameter change if machined with too sharp a radius there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts