Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know know the difference in the st and se engine? is it just a different head? I'm not sure the compression ration on these 2.0s but I was just wondering if anyone can give me any real information on what the difference is between the two?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should mention I'm aware its tubo charged which is why I mention the compression ratio I'm just wondering what the difference is to make the st run the turbo

·
w/ my magic bag
29,303 Posts
The standard engine, the one in the SE, run at 12.5:1 if I remember correctly (or is it 11.5:1) ?
So that means the pistons are different. How 'bout the rods/crank & possibly the block different too?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Crank & block are different like the old 2.3 ones, crank has gear for balance shaft assy. and block is set up to bolt that assy. in at a minimum. Close enough to the old one that the identical delete kit works.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,303 Posts
Easy ... the ST engine is the one with problems [grinking]
Oh no, thats not what I wanted to hear but needed to. I've seen a few pix of the pistons, wow. Why does the Fist ones look so much better?

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
Oh no, thats not what I wanted to hear but needed to. I've seen a few pix of the pistons, wow. Why does the Fist ones look so much better?
I don't know but it seems (IIRC #4 cylinder) likes to go away modded or not. Mostly ringland failures...

Crossing fingers on my '16 !!

·
Registered
113 Posts
What's the St engine issue? Have 56,000 miles on mine. No issues at all.
Let's see put a tune on it modify it beat the crap outta it. Then cry about it breaking.

Whatched a fella buy an RS with zero miles pulled out of the dealership and had the pedal to the floor. Held it there until he disappeared. How long do you think that car is going to be around?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,303 Posts
The vast majority of those that have problems are modded.

Sent from a new potato
I'd say, what parts are ppl using & are they a systematic kit from say like Cobb, Montune, FRPP's ect.?

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
What's the St engine issue? Have 56,000 miles on mine. No issues at all.
Let's see put a tune on it modify it beat the crap outta it. Then cry about it breaking.

Whatched a fella buy an RS with zero miles pulled out of the dealership and had the pedal to the floor. Held it there until he disappeared. How long do you think that car is going to be around?
This is one thread of the many (modded or not)

------> Blown Motor Resource Thread

I was very deep into the blown motor thread. The causes seem to be pistons melting/ringlands. As far as I know, even ford doesnt know why it happens, according so some techs, they told me that theirs calcium build up and flakes off in the cylinder. Also the one guy had cylinder 3 die and when they pulled it apart the carbon build up was so bad it make the valves stick. When talking to ford, I asked how to prevent this, they told me theirs not really a way to stop it. From owners, a catch can would help a lot and to check the intake during oil changes just to make sure the build up isn't bad. I was told also that 5th at 3k rpms is fine as long as you ease into the throttle and some pulls on the highway would help burn off some build up.

This thread is only a fraction of owners, plenty of them are very happy while others blow up. I know 3 guys, they have a 15', 13' and 14'. Their on motor number 2.
They had the same problem just in different cylinders. And 2 were tuned. A catch can helps but their is always a chance of detonation. I have a 16 and so far 16's blowing up inst as common but i still would like to avoid it. The solutions to keeping it healthy from what i gathered up is, treat it like a 5 speed. 5th gear at 3k rpm is fine as long as you ease on it. 4th or 3rd to over take and 5th and 6th for the mpg life depending on how fast your going and so on. Also a catch can and just check the intake and plugs during oil changes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Why the focus st? the escape has much the same motor. I've seen hundreds of escapes no piston issues.

The DI motors do have carbon build up,more so than non DI motors.

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
Why the focus st? the escape has much the same motor. I've seen hundreds of escapes no piston issues.

The DI motors do have carbon build up,more so than non DI motors.
Tuning is different from factory... ecoboost escape are more for hauling than doing quarter-mile runs.

Plus, some are getting destroyed by low rpm , high load (ex: doing WOT 5th or 6th gear at low rpm)

Well this is just an educated guess but I feel some are getting LSPI events.

----> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-speed_pre-ignition

EDIT:

BTW, the escape doesn't have the manual gearbox option like ST... it would kickdown automatically preventing high load at low rpm.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts