Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So explain to me what is the difference between them
and which should be better to get more of a gain..

The race header is a 4-1
and the stock is a 4-2-1

so which one does the trick?

also, would you get more of a gain if you port
the stock?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^Exactly. Think of it this way: Anyone (with the right skills) can weld together a header and say it's good. However, how many of those headers spent hours on a flowbench (like I'm assuming the SVT did) or had a multi-billion dollar company's research backing it?

Long story short, the 4-2-1 flows better and of all of the race headers out there, the SVT is the best.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
diff styles of headers work better on diff engines... the svt just works best on ours.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Agreed, with all of them, i have heard there are dyno sheets showing 2-3 hp gains with a 500-600 dollar header but a dyno cant read less then 5 hp if im right so yeah yeah, i think i would rather keep my stock header rather than spend that much for, uh, 2-3 hp, uh....yeah... haha SVT is the best....

Andrew

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
The stock header is all around the best, but if you road race where the car is always above 6k rpm, a race header does provide gains up top (with loss down low).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The stock header is all around the best, but if you road race where the car is always above 6k rpm, a race header does provide gains up top (with loss down low).
Ok that makes sense then
:]

so is heat wrapping the headers better than
keeping the heat shield in place?

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Definitly, heat wrap is the REAL way to go for performance.... getting it "JET-HOT" coated LOOKS better... but it will never give you the same results as good old header wrap.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
hey orange does wrapping your hfc have any side effects? or is it just as good as wrapping your header?

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
^^Keeps your oil Cooler.. The header sits right below your oil pan.. I really wish I would have heatwrapped mine before installing it

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
i was thinking about doing it myself, but i was wondering if it will have any ill effects witht he 02 sensors and such, since they will take longer to get to temp

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
The O2 sensors are inside the cat pipe when they're mounted. With the heat wrap, they actually get up to temp faster.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
ok.. cool. I'm def goin to do this since i have wrap layin around.

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
If your Talking about Heat Wrap.. Yes.. Same effect... If you talking about getting performance absolutely. Although Im partial to the High Flow cat.. Sounds better IMO and is illegal..

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I've heard that wrapping a cat will make it more efficient, but there is also a bad side effect... once your exhaust temps get around 1600* the ECU will start adding fuel to help cool the cat.

I would definitly wrap an ORP, I have my exhaust on the SVT wrapped from the turbo to the flex pipe... and you can definitly tell it when working under the car after it has been running.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts