Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the impression that the car I bought (currently on its way from another dealer) had the navigation option installed. It doesn't. When I asked the salesman about it he said that all cars with SYNC have turn-by-turn navigation, searchable destinations and businesses, route planning and traffic monitoring, etc. The only thing you get for the $795 Navigation Package is the birds-eye aerial map.

$800 seems like a lot for just a map. I'm skeptical. It seems logical that either the SYNC navigation isn't as loaded as he's making it out to be, or the Navigation Package comes with more than just a pretty flying map. The Ford website says it comes with Sirius TravelLink (whatever that is), gas station pricing, weather forecasts, sports scores, movie listings and more. Are those all exclusive to the Voice Activated Navigation package, or are they part of SYNC?

Anyone have experience with the two side-by-side? What do they have in common? What's different? Is it worth $800 when I've got Google Maps and a 4G smartphone?

Finally, is it something that can be easily installed at the dealer before delivery, such as adding an SD card and unlocking the features?

[dunno]

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can learn more about the SYNC navigation features at http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/configurations/?vehicle=focus. I think the nav option lets you choose specific via points or routing options and will automatically recalculate if you go off a planned route, as well as the additional information points that you mention. The SYNC turn-by-turn directions seem to be less flexible (no automatic recalculation and no manual routing choices unless you use Send to SYNC) and don't offer all of that extra info.

It's not clear to me if the basic SYNC supports Send to SYNC. At the link I provided above it indicates it does, but I thought I remembered seeing another place that it didn't. Perhaps somebody who has received their car already can tell us how it really works. I've only been reading in anticipation of my car somebody being delivered.

·
Registered
146 Posts
For me, the biggest difference (other than the map) would be the immediate recalculating. I want to know right away if I took a wrong turn and what to do about it. I don't believe the SYNC Nav has this feature.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can learn more about the SYNC navigation features at http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/configurations/?vehicle=focus. I think the nav option lets you choose specific via points or routing options and will automatically recalculate if you go off a planned route, as well as the additional information points that you mention. The SYNC turn-by-turn directions seem to be less flexible (no automatic recalculation and no manual routing choices unless you use Send to SYNC) and don't offer all of that extra info.

It's not clear to me if the basic SYNC supports Send to SYNC. At the link I provided above it indicates it does, but I thought I remembered seeing another place that it didn't. Perhaps somebody who has received their car already can tell us how it really works. I've only been reading in anticipation of my car somebody being delivered.
Oddly enough the link provided indicates that SYNC with Voice Activated Navigation isn't available on the Focus [dunno] even though it is.

I clicked back a page to the 'Packages' tab and found this:
http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/configurations/

There I can compare the systems side-by-side. From what I see, the Voice Activated Navigation (Lets just call it VAN) comes with significantly fewer features than the MFT. An "Integrated Navigation System" is listed as optional for MFT, maybe that's what's listed as the $795 VAN under the Focus build tool?

this is confusing....

·
Registered
9 Posts
i just took delivery of sel with nav. its awsome sometimes but lacks certain features but if you drive alot and want nav help definately get the nav. zoom in zoom out etc all with voice commands. rerouting is awsome,poi's are nice when hungry or need gas.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oddly enough the link provided indicates that SYNC with Voice Activated Navigation isn't available on the Focus [dunno] even though it is.

I clicked back a page to the 'Packages' tab and found this:
http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/configurations/

There I can compare the systems side-by-side. From what I see, the Voice Activated Navigation (Lets just call it VAN) comes with significantly fewer features than the MFT. An "Integrated Navigation System" is listed as optional for MFT, maybe that's what's listed as the $795 VAN under the Focus build tool?

this is confusing....
SYNC with VAN is not available on the Focus. This was a system that was developed before MFT which combined Sync with a screen for the map display.

What is available on the Focus is "Sync with Myford" or Myford touch. Navigation is an option that can be added for $800 to MFT. A free (for three years) feature of either option is "Sync Services". Sync services is able to dowload turn by turn directions to your car using your phone. Sync services does not have a map display.

http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/features/sync-services/

·
Registered
882 Posts
For me, the biggest difference (other than the map) would be the immediate recalculating. I want to know right away if I took a wrong turn and what to do about it. I don't believe the SYNC Nav has this feature.
This is true.

The actual Navigation package is like having a big (huge) GPS in your car. The Sync Navigation is like having a really smart friend that you can call. If you miss a turn, instead of the GPS just giving you other options, you have to call back your really smart friend to find out what to do next.

Sync Navigation works fine, but it doesn't provide a map of any kind and it's completely inflexible. If you miss a turn or something changes, it'll ask if you want to re-calculate. If you say yes, it has to call back in and download the new directions...which takes anywhere from 15-30 seconds total (from starting the call to hanging up).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I think this is finally starting to make sense. What my salesman said was right; turn-by-turn nav is part of MFT, but if I want a map I have to spring for the Nav package. I guess it comes with the Sirius TravelLink too (which I'm sure is $200 a year or something ridiculous).

Does anyone know if Nav is something that can be added by the dealer after the car is built? I know it's all SD-card based, so maybe it's a matter of installing the card and activating the feature?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Does anyone know if Nav is something that can be added by the dealer after the car is built? I know it's all SD-card based, so maybe it's a matter of installing the card and activating the feature?
This is something that has been discussed/asked in other threads. I know I never saw a definitive answer in any of them (doesn't mean it is not there, I just may have not read it). Anyone know for sure?

I believe the Sirius travel services are 5.99 a month. This is just the travel, no radio.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Nav option CAN NOT be dealer installed. It has a completely different wiring harness that includes the GPS antenna. My opinion... the SYNC T-B-T blows. The Nav has some learning curves as well, but the live traffic and re-routing options when there is an accident have saved me hours on my comute multiple times. Well worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The definitive answer has been given time after time, and the answer is no. At least, not at this time. Who knows what Ford will allow in the near or distant future, but for now, it must be activated at the factory. Anyone can obtain an SD card for less than ~$200 legally from a Ford dealer and FAR less on ebay. It's their way to protect their profits.

IMHO, it's seems a waste to have such a large screen and not get the Nav option. That combined with the fact this is probably the best looking nav out there at 3x the resolution of the Garmins and Tom Toms, and that it has all the features I required. Such as waypoints, lane guidance, MANY poi's, voice guidance, advanced freeway exit info, and spoken streets names, just to name a few.

There are those who don't think it's worth the $$$, and that's totally fair, as no option is for everyone. I just happen to be one of those who think it's an utter bargain and a necessity at $799. If you are able to get another with the nav, I would do it. I would not have taken this car w/o it. If you're paying this much money, get exactly what you want. You're going to have it for a while.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The Nav option CAN NOT be dealer installed. It has a completely different wiring harness that includes the GPS antenna. My opinion... the SYNC T-B-T blows. The Nav has some learning curves as well, but the live traffic and re-routing options when there is an accident have saved me hours on my comute multiple times. Well worth the upgrade.
Are you sure about the wiring? MFT has to include a GPS receiver with all units in order for TDI to work.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought the car I was getting had nav; I explained to my salesman that I really wanted the navigation package. Somewhere in process there was a slip-up and the car currently on it's way doesn't have it. So now I guess the question is do I hold out for a car with all the options that I want? I'm used to using my Evo4G and Google maps which has re-routing, traffic monitoring, etc and I think I'd be very disappointed with the SYNC turn-by-turn.

·
Registered
724 Posts
All the cars with sync have a GPS receiver, you don't need MFT or the nav package for it. To add the birds i view nav pkg to MTF is only a software change. I don't know if they offer it after the fact or not but it certainly is doable.

I only have two complaints regarding the turn by turn nav that came with the sync in my SEL.
1. The time it takes to recognize you have made a wrong/missed turn and provide updated directions.
2. At least in the areas i have used it it uses street names instead of route numbers. Route number signs are usually much more visible than street name signs and quite often street names change while a route number doesn't. This has caused some confusion.

If you had to pay for the sync turn by turn system as a separate option i would recommend a TomTom or Garmin but if you have gotten the sync for bluetooth then the system works and there is not much reason to get a stand alone.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Are you sure about the wiring? MFT has to include a GPS receiver with all units in order for TDI to work.
All the cars with sync have a GPS receiver, you don't need MFT or the nav package for it. To add the birds i view nav pkg to MTF is only a software change. I don't know if they offer it after the fact or not but it certainly is doable.
Yeah, this is why I said I haven't seen a definitive answer. Is it hardware or only software? I know you can't just buy an SD card elsewhere and pop it in but could Ford, in theory, let you buy an overpriced SD card from them and allow activation after the fact if you have MFT? I know they don't currently allow it but is it because they don't want to for some reason or they can't?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah, this is why I said I haven't seen a definitive answer. Is it hardware or only software? I know you can't just buy an SD card elsewhere and pop it in but could Ford, in theory, let you buy an overpriced SD card from them and allow activation after the fact if you have MFT? I know they don't currently allow it but is it because they don't want to for some reason or they can't?
I'm a consumer not a builder, so no, I not sure about anything. I was told that the vehicles without Nav do not come with part number 10E893 and it is a factory only installation. I assume they also do not come with the SD card (p# 19H449) but mine came with both, so whatever. I did not think I would need to present evidence in court, so I did not properly record and label my conversation with the Ford SYNC tech.

OP... get what makes you happy.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I'm a consumer not a builder, so no, I not sure about anything. I was told that the vehicles without Nav do not come with part number 10E893 and it is a factory only installation. I assume they also do not come with the SD card (p# 19H449) but mine came with both, so whatever. I did not think I would need to present evidence in court, so I did not properly record and label my conversation with the Ford SYNC tech.

OP... get what makes you happy.
Sorry, don't take it wrong, no offense intended. I'm not attacking anything you said, I am just curious as I have heard multiple stories regarding hardware vs. software. I have Nav as well so it doesn't matter to me either and it seems as if Ford could charge $800 for an SD card and activate it (or have a dealer activate it) simply they would.

Just wondering....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd gladly pay $800 for the dealer to install it. But if they can't I'm left deciding whether to refuse delivery and find another car, or just live with it.

I don't like settling.

Edit: called my salesman and explained that I really was hoping to have nav. He replied that any vehicle not special-ordered with nav as a stand-alone is bound to also have the 401a premium package. I said I'd be OK with that, as long as I also don't have to spring for Parking and Sport packages at the same time. Unfortunately when I've done searches of local dealers every Titanium has 401a, Parking and Sport packages. The car that's already on it's way was the only one within 800 miles (supposedly) that didn't have those 3 packages. So it may be an excersize in futility to find one with 401a, Winter, Sunroof and Nav but without Parking and Sport.

Anyone have access to dealer inventories beyond the closest 5 that ford.com will give?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sorry, don't take it wrong, no offense intended. I'm not attacking anything you said, I am just curious as I have heard multiple stories regarding hardware vs. software. I have Nav as well so it doesn't matter to me either and it seems as if Ford could charge $800 for an SD card and activate it (or have a dealer activate it) simply they would.

Just wondering....
NP... it gets chippy in here sometimes. Hard to tell how people come across without looking them in the eye. It's cool. [cool]

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Anyone have access to dealer inventories beyond the closest 5 that ford.com will give?
This was a pain for me too. I ended up putting in zip codes in a 40 miles radius until I found a dealer that had my car. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts