Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
^^[slap].....SRI's or just the panels? I've got da k&n panel works great although I've also wondered if the itg foam outperforms it can't be by much though[dunno]

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Probably how much in TOTAL the car will put down ... [giggle]

Since I have the K&N and a few other mods ... I reckon I am at least at 40HP to the Wheels .... .... .... [poke] [slap] [???:)] [joke]

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
haha there is no way difference in filters causes horsepower differfences. To be honest i wouldnt want a foam filter. Experience with dirt bike says there a pain in the ass to clean and oil. I have the Steeda intake and love that filter. Cleaning is so easy

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am talking about drop in filters. Sorry!

Just wondering if there is any large difference. If not I am going to stick with what I know and get a K&N.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Ah there we go...drop in. [;)]
My preference is the ITG, which is what I have.

Advantages of ITG (varied density foam) over K&N (cotton gauze).
1) Permanently oiled for life.
The only maintenance required is to pull it out and knock off any trapped dirt from the surface a couple times a year.
2) There's no danger of over-oiling and causing a CEL due to oil getting on the MAF.
Again, see #1. No need to re-oil.
3) Filters better than the K&N, especially when compared to a newly cleaned and oiled K&N.
The K&N relies on trapped dirt to filter the air. The more dirt, the better filtering.
When it's clean, the pores in the cotton are large enough to let dust and debris right into the engine.
4) Cheaper.
While the ITG may be more expensive up front, it'll save in the long run because you're not having to buy cleaner and oil.

As far as performance, it would take a dyno of incredible (unobtainable) accuracy to see any difference between the two.
I noticed a pretty decent mpg bump when I installed the ITG in my car.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
As far as performance, it would take a dyno of incredible (unobtainable) accuracy to see any difference between the two.
I noticed a pretty decent mpg bump when I installed the ITG in my car.
There's your unsarcastic answer. Sorry for the sarcasm I just couldn't help myself [hihi]

·
Registered
194 Posts
yeh ive herd k&n fiters arent that great they pass dust easily. i know from experience that aem does the same, my brother had an aem intake on his truck and it was passing dust so he upgraded to an afe. i personally like afe filters or greens.

·
Registered
75 Posts
forgive my ignorance but what is the ITG? I have not done any mods to my SVT yet for some reason but I am now really anxious to start. Intake and TB maybe underdrive pulleys are where I am thinking I should start. Any suggestions?

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Foam Filter
Oil-wetted polyurethane foam elements are used in some aftermarket replacement automobile air filters. Foam was in the past widely used in air cleaners on small engines on lawnmowers and other power equipment, but automotive-type paper filter elements have largely supplanted oil-wetted foam in these applications. Depending on the grade and thickness of foam employed, an oil-wetted foam filter element can offer minimal airflow restriction or very high dirt capacity, the latter property making foam filters a popular choice in off-road rallying and other motorsport applications where high levels of dust will be encountered.

Cotton Filter

This is what you want if you are not off-roading... K&N FTW!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
yeh i just think there are way better cotten filters then k&n i dont hear a lot of good stuff about them, if they pass dust why take the chance plus greens air filters are proven to filter btr then k&n and flow more air out of the same size filter i read a whole write up about this on a diesel forum from what i hear about k&n isnt too good

·
Registered
808 Posts
K&N isnt too good?
[screwy]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts