Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.0 2002 ZX3 and found a killer deal on a Ford Racing exhaust for a 2.3. Are these interchangable? FocusSport's 2.0 and 2.3 exhausts are, but not sure about the ones from Ford Racing. Anyone mount a 2.3 exhaust on a 2.0? What mods were required (if any). THANKS! [headbang]

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
the 2.3L engine is a duratec. the exhaust focussport is talking about are for the 2.0 and 2.3L duratecs, those are interchangeable. You have to find an exhaust that fits years 00-04. (other than the 04 2.3L PZEV)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I need a picture, but I'm 99.99999% positive it will. The routing of the tubing is the same. The only reason they are different is that in the 2nd gen's there is a bigger gas tank and thus on the 2nd gen exhausts the muffler is round instead of oval(like the 1st gen's) The only thing is, I'm not positive, but I know it's this way on the Magnaflow's, is that on the 2nd gen's you have to cut the pipe to put it on instead of bolting flanges together. So you most likely will have to cut your mid pipe.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the FocusSport site, it lists one part number to fit the following:

ZX3/ZX5 Exhaust - 16v Zetec/2.0L & 2.3L Duratec (Not SVT)

I e-mailed them and they confirmed the same system will fit on the Zetec 2.0, the Duratec 2.0 and 2.3.

So, I'm wondering if the same is true for the Ford Racing exhausts. They DO list seperate part numbers for the Zetec and Duratec, so what's the difference? If it just requires minimal tweeking to make the 2.3 Duratec mount on the 2.0 Zetec, then I'll buy this exhaust. If it requires me to cut and weld all the sections together differently, then I'll pass.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I need a picture, but I'm 99.99999% positive it will. The routing of the tubing is the same. The only reason they are different is that in the 2nd gen's there is a bigger gas tank and thus on the 2nd gen exhausts the muffler is round instead of oval(like the 1st gen's) The only thing is, I'm not positive, but I know it's this way on the Magnaflow's, is that on the 2nd gen's you have to cut the pipe to put it on instead of bolting flanges together. So you most likely will have to cut your mid pipe.
Did you miss this.
1st gen

2nd gen-You have to flip the muffler over, it's upside down in this pic-to show the magnaflow

All the pieces are exactly the same except the fact that the mufflers shape is different and on the second gen there isn't a flange at the end. All this means is that you'll have to cut your mid pipe, right after your flex, and the exhaust will slip over.
If you show me a picture of the one you want I almost guarentee it'll look just like either of these.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which one would my 2002 ZX3 with the 2.0 Duratec take? Flange or no flange?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'll try one more time.

You will have to cut your mid pipe if it doesn't have a flange. No one will want your stock exhaust anyway so there is no need to worry about it. The new exhaust will slide over the old existing pipe. You could have an exhaust shop weld you a flange, but it's not necessary.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
the 2.3 exhaust's flange's holes are wider apart compared to the zetec

the 2.3 bolt holes are identical to the SVT's

if you were to get the 2.3 exhuast, all that is needed to make it fit the zetec is to slot those holes inward a bit.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I'll look to see if my zetec's cat has a flange on the back or if it is in need of cutting so I can slip it together.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Which one would my 2002 ZX3 with the 2.0 Duratec take? Flange or no flange?
Focus in the CP said:
I have a 2.0 2002 ZX3 and found a killer deal on a Ford Racing exhaust for a 2.3. Are these interchangable? FocusSport's 2.0 and 2.3 exhausts are, but not sure about the ones from Ford Racing. Anyone mount a 2.3 exhaust on a 2.0? What mods were required (if any). THANKS!

And this is "ZETEC performance chat"

See the confusion now?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OOPS "I'm in Hell" I actually have a 2.0L ZETEC. I apologize profusely for mis-speaking. Thanks for trying to keep us all in line.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK. It looks like I answered my own question by doing some Google-ing. My ZETEC has the exhaust header on the front of the engine and the duratec has it on the back. Thus, if I buy an exhaust for a duratec, it will be too short for the ZETEC since it is made to go to a rear header/cat/flex pipe.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Just when I thought I explained it clearly.
I don't know what else to say.
Sorry. Your on your own.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts