Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Close to 150,000 miles. Started dying at stop lights after the car has run and warm. Eventually the check engine light came on. Had the code checked at autozone and the guy showed me the screen (Running Lean). O2 sensor lean. Nothing else. I had when it started dying put a couple of bottles of injector cleaner through it no change. Can I check the fuel pressure myself? I cannot locate the tap. Can I check each injector? has anyone had this problem?

[???:)]

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
First off what kind of Engine does it have

second Running lean means its probably a Vacuum leak which is letting alot more unmonitored air then it can compensate for, or your IAC is stuck

as for the fuel pressure you will need to read that through the OBDII port with a interface as there are no ways to check it

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
X2. I smell a vacuum leak problem. Those used to cause carb vehicles to idle high, but on EFI, the ECU controls the idle, and drops it down- then you end up stalling- or in your case, the engine cuts off. If you have the 16v engine- spark plugs go through the center of the valve cover- then the most likely culprit is the PCV hose. I'd replace both the PCV and the hose. You'll generally hear a vacuum leak when you pop the hood- it will sound like a whistle or sucking sound that gets louder with RPM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dies at idle/Transmission fluid

Thanks everyone I found a 3/4 inch cut in the PCV hose. This has been a great car 150,000 miles and I have gone under the hood every 5000 miles to change the oil, change spark plugs and timing belt at 100,000. What about the transmission fluid I check regularlarly it doesn't smell burnt the pan has no leaks should I think about flushing the fluid or change the filter and fluid.

·
Registered
872 Posts
1turbofocus........eh? You might want to ease up on the "resources of the planet". For most of the cars owned by people on this forum recommending what you just did is complete overkill. And, I'm being nice. Plus, it wasn't relative to the issue.

·
Registered
277 Posts
1turbofocus........eh? You might want to ease up on the "resources of the planet". For most of the cars owned by people on this forum recommending what you just did is complete overkill. And, I'm being nice. Plus, it wasn't relative to the issue.
The user that originally posted this thread asked about it, so I think that makes it relavent. And i'd be willing to say Tom is right on the changing intervals. While youre right that most dont do that, its better to "overmaintain" than let everything slide and have your car die at like 80K

1 - 9 of 9 Posts