Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally do not purchase extended warranties as I only keep vehicles for four or five years. With no rental and the new model year I am considering it. I also plan to give this car to my son in five years for college. I am curious what extended service plan you chose and why.

Fla2smoker "I love the smell of synthetic premix and race fuel in the morning"

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes I purchased an extended warranty and maintenance plan too. For a 6 years.
I plan to keep my car for 6 years. And I am extremely happy I did because within 3 days I had to bring the car back and they were able to give me a rental without any hassle... (I've seen within these forums how people are having trouble getting a rental when they bring it in for MFT issues.)

·
Registered
366 Posts
My opinion, it's a roll of the dice. Pay now, or pay later.

If you drive gently, your car will be more reliable. If you beat it to death, it dies early. My belief is that major defects are more rare now that quality has improved.

But, with all the electronic gadgets and complicated auto trannys, and you plan to keep the car longer (especially with youngsters driving) then the warrantee may pay off.

Consider the total cost, including what is covered, and the deductable.
Most ESPs offered to me did not make sense. This is one way the dealer makes considerable profit.

Choose wisely.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'll be getting the 6/100,000 Premium Care ESP plan when I pick up my car this week. There are just too many electronic gadgets in this car not to. The rental car allowance is also a plus.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey Maureen... (and Uber, if you've already priced it)

Would you mind telling what you paid for the ESP and maintenance plans? I'm a 100-mile-a-day-er and want to do the same thing since I'll be evaporating my warranty under two years.

Premiumcare for 5y/125k/0$ is running about $1600 (http://www.floodfordesp.com/)
and maintenance is 6y/125k/10k-interval at $1275 (same site).

I'm guessing that would be way lower than my local dealer would want, but I imagine I could get them to come down to that and throw it in with my financing.

I used my Mechanical Breakdown Insurance through Geico probably six times with my Murano before it hit 100k and was cancelled. It saved me a ton, but at $200 a pop per incident, I'm looking to spread that out more. I don't mind the cost when it's anticipated. I'd prefer to finance it than scramble to come up with it when I need to.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I typically keep my cars 10 years or more and put 200,000+ miles on them.

I have purchased 7 cars new where they have tried to sell me an extended service plan. At an average of $2000 each for the plans I would have spent $14,000. Those 7 cars never had anything worse than an alternator, starter or water pump fail that would have been covered by a service plan.

I figure I am at least $12,000 ahead by not buying a plan.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Check out the link someone posted below for Anderson and Koch Ford. That was the best pricing I could find. If you google Ford ESP coupon you may find a discount code online too.

Hey Maureen... (and Uber, if you've already priced it)

Would you mind telling what you paid for the ESP and maintenance plans? I'm a 100-mile-a-day-er and want to do the same thing since I'll be evaporating my warranty under two years.

Premiumcare for 5y/125k/0$ is running about $1600 (http://www.floodfordesp.com/)
and maintenance is 6y/125k/10k-interval at $1275 (same site).

I'm guessing that would be way lower than my local dealer would want, but I imagine I could get them to come down to that and throw it in with my financing.

I used my Mechanical Breakdown Insurance through Geico probably six times with my Murano before it hit 100k and was cancelled. It saved me a ton, but at $200 a pop per incident, I'm looking to spread that out more. I don't mind the cost when it's anticipated. I'd prefer to finance it than scramble to come up with it when I need to.

·
Registered
524 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Agreed

I typically keep my cars 10 years or more and put 200,000+ miles on them.

I have purchased 7 cars new where they have tried to sell me an extended service plan. At an average of $2000 each for the plans I would have spent $14,000. Those 7 cars never had anything worse than an alternator, starter or water pump fail that would have been covered by a service plan.

I figure I am at least $12,000 ahead by not buying a plan.
Yea, I feel the same way. Never have bought one and never would have used it. My theory is they are betting you won't have a problem and you are betting you will. Whatever makes people comfortable......go for it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's my second car so I didn't feel the need to markup the $21k car by 15% with the extended plans. Just seemed silly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I wasn't going to commit to the ESP until a later date but the day I picked up my car, they were offering the interest free payments only thru June so I just signed up. I got the 6 year/75,000 mi premium one.. It cost me $1,067 (may not be exact). I knew I 'd definately be getting it since there is too much electronics in this car not to get it lol.

I plan on keeping this car for years so I definately see it being worth it. My last car I had for 7 years.. I dont get bored of cars.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I paid about $1200 for a 7 year/70,000 mile warranty and gap insurance. I wasn't going to get it, but as others have said, way too many electronics in this car. I have a short commute, so they were able to offer a longer warranty with less miles covered.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I did not purchase one, but I got one for free after having so many MFT problems. 5 year 72,000 miles through Ford.

Tony

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well hot damn! My paperwork is in my car... which is back in the shop!! So sorry, but my price was for 6 year/72,000 mi. It was around $1300. But I can't remember. I had the premium ESP and the rims/tires and then the maintenance one too.
I'll have to wait until I get my car back to give you the figures.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well hot damn! My paperwork is in my car... which is back in the shop!! So sorry, but my price was for 6 year/72,000 mi. It was around $1300. But I can't remember. I had the premium ESP and the rims/tires and then the maintenance one too.
I'll have to wait until I get my car back to give you the figures.
Maureen,
What dealer did you use? I tried the online sites posted here and it looks like the Florida car dealers have a pretty good hold on the Florida legislature. Not only do we get hit with massive dealer fees. We cannot purchase warranties online.

[mad][mad][mad]

·
Registered
94 Posts
Bill Currie Ford.
The finance guy was a sleazebag. I wasn't happy with how he treated me, but it was fine in the end.
My sales rep was a personal friend of my boss. So on the end before the financing I had a wonderful experience.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts