Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep. Its a business based in Washington.
THey are in some super cool stuff. Zetec is responible for going to nuclear reactors and making sure the cooling pipes are in good shape. If they screwed up, the nuclear power plants would meltdown and cause another chernoble (sp?) accident.
I learned this today at school, they were there recruiting people to come work for them.
THought I would share that little piece of useless information. If you use this on Jeopordy and win a bunch of money becuase of it, I want half lol

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
well, a corroded pipe wouldnt cause a meltdown unless it was a HUGE hole or burst in a supply pipe that starved the reactor of water. mostly it would just leak water... In the reactors used in the US, the heavy water (irradiated water) pipes are kept separate from the regular water pipes used for power production anyway. And the heavy water is just that - heavy water. there is NOTHING else in the water to cause corrosion, other than radioactive bits.

Also, there is a tinting and customization shop here called Z-Tech... what were they thinking!?!

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By water pipes, I meant the cooling pipes/steam pipes. Those would be the pipes that carry the heat from the nuclear pieces in the form of steam to the turbines, spinning the turbines, thus creating electricity.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Crakima, WA!? j/k man
Hey I didn't know there were any Nuclear reactors here in Washington. I've only seen one and it was abandoned (I think).

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
theyre pretty cool, I went to Italy for a study abroad program and took a nuc e class, we got to tour a shut down reactor and walk over the storage pools and all the rest of the reactor building. pretty damn cool.

But yeah, the water in those pipes is totally harmless, and if they leaked there wouldnt be a meltdown, common misconception.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, there is a very large reactor here in washington. Its called Hanford and covers a HUGE AREA near the tri-cities. Hanford is actually the place that made the nuclear material for the bombs droped on japan in WW2.

And how did you know we call it Crackima?? Maybe because its the pot capitol of America? lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
You know what? I now feel pretty stupid, because I remember reading about Hanford anytime we got to WW2 in my old history classes.

lol the bookkeeper in my office is from Yakima and that's what she calls it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts