Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i did the timing belt, followed the book although one of the cam bolt plags was rounded out so had to use brute strencth to turn it oherwise just a pain
now the car cranks but doesnt start. almost positive its gt no spark wil get a park tester to make sure. Any ideas

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
If the brute strength used at a time when valves open and crank has pistons close to TDC you could easily have bent valves in there................

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Have you confirmed no spark?

Timing procedure by itself can't cause the problem, but other things can be touched in the process.

From coil leads not back in place right to the 3-wire connection to the coil getting bumped (that tends to be delicate, both at the connector & further down the line - short wiring & easily damaged by touching things it shouldn't).

Doing the timing on the SVT is one job that gets confused in the process often, was it turned a time or two for confirmation before buttoning it back up again?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't think I bent valve not that much strength.just mostly looking for ideas on where to start for spark

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Like he says the wiring going to coil, it commonly breaks at the connector and you work close to that with the cam bar.

You say almost positive you got no spark, either you do or you don't, no in between there. I'd be detailing that further to avoid wasting money.

VERY easy to damage older plug wires and even new if hamfisted by pulling them out incorrectly, they break the simply string inside that is the conductor...........yes, I said STRING. Fiberglas lightly spun over carbon dust core, pull the carbon dust to make a gap and instant junk plug wire. Like in the movies when you see the hero pour a small stream of gunpowder to the stack of dynamite, then the bad guy nixes all that by simply dragging a boot across the powder track to sever it. No big boom.................

FYI, it takes far less force to bend say a couple valves than you think, even a fairly light pressure applied can do it if they are in wrong place. Often people don't even know they've done it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i dont hear no wierd/bad noises when it cranks so thats a plus but i am gonna check thos connecters by the coil, probably after 170k

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Another myth, almost always no noise when you crank it with bent valves. Keep it up, we'll write a book on mythology..................remember what I said?

'Often people don't even know they've done it.'

If anything it will seem to crank faster and stronger from no compression load on bent valve cylinders.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Another myth, almost always no noise when you crank it with bent valves. Keep it up, we'll write a book on mythology..................remember what I said?

'Often people don't even know they've done it.'

If anything it will seem to crank faster and stronger from no compression load on bent valve cylinders.

You should make a thread about all the myths. There's alot, and then we can sticky it!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Once you confirm no spark, checking for voltage at the center connection of the 3-wire coil connector would be next (key on). Outer connectors ground intermittently through the PCM to cause the spark.

Valve damage isn't likely UNLESS a cam was turned with the engine set for timing (two pistons at TDC). Turning a cam then CAN easily result in bent valves, only provable by compression or leakdown testing.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Man, that would be a 1000 page book.............I'd be dead before I was half finished.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I'm wondering if we should post a link to this in the SVT owner's forum because I seem to remember something about the cam phasers, and that a lot of people had problems the first time that they did their SVT timing belt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
upon further test i can confirm that there is no spark, however all the wiring seems to be good still, dnt see anything corroded. Coil pack hassom small cracks on it tho so gonna test that

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gonna get a coil pack and check thou since the three prong connects on the pack where giving me.9 or less ohms

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Did you check for 12v. at the center pin of the coil connector?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts