Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at work I was jump starting a new car. We leave our car doors open and sometimes the batteries die. Well today I was jump starting and I know neg to neg, pos to pos i'm not that dumb. But on our jumper box I didn't do that. I did pos to neg, neg to pos. Well the box started smoking (note I didn't try to jump start the car). So I took it off now I figure the box is ruined but do you think anything else is too? I mean if the box is ruined that isn't a big deal but its a whole different story if the car is too.

Note nothing was actually turned on, it was only for maybe 5 minutes as well. I had put the cables on not paying attention walked away saw the smoke ran over there and took off the box.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Well maybe after 5 minutes it could have damaged something. Who knows there is a lot of electrcical parts on these cars. Did you actually get it running?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we haven't jump started it. I mean we never put the keys in cause we noticed it pretty fast. Cause basically the rule at the place is if you break something company covers 50% of w/e the repair bill is. So i'm hoping that its just the jumper box cause that'd be less expensive then fixing the box and the car. Not only that the car has been sold too.

·
Registered
215 Posts
We use jump boxes also at work, I bet your box is ruined, maybe the battery. I don't think the car would be.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so worst comes to worst I have to replace the box, and battery. I can live with that. Hopefully the battery is fine. Because the jumper box was smoking but the battery in the car wasn't.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
well the car obviously wont be ruined, the keys have to be in the on position before you can really screw anything up bad, now the battery and that box is probably a totally diffrent story, wouldnt be surprised at all if the battery is shot and the box. Be careful when you do that, ive heard stories of batteries exploding, but im not sure if they are true or if I was told that so I didnt go on ahead and cross the cables.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, those those stories too. First thing I did was turn the box off then take off the pos from the box and the neg.

If its the battery and the box i'm cool. didn't turn on the car.

Don't know if it matters though, but the car had a big battery. It was a Minivan tricked out with the high end speaker system, dvd, etc. Going talkt o my manager tomorrow about it (if he is in) or e-mail him.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
my g/f almost burnt her 300c when she tried to jump it and connected the pos to the neg. The cables fried and melted a piece of her bumper, but the car was fine.

·
Aggresive Not Crazy
1,815 Posts
Yeah I've seen it all we have the DUMBEST sales people here the box should only cost $80 retail the car is fine! it might need a new battery if not then they will a few weeks down the road.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually speaking a few weeks down the road would be ideal, since it'd be covered by warranty if we can tack it onto just plain old mechnical fault.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts