Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a hill and I screwed up the clutching. I normally bring it up to the friction point quickly, then add gas as I release the clutch in a controlled motion.

I screwed up today. I brought it up to the friction point, but did the rest too quickly and basically ended up popping the clutch at ~2,500 RPM. I heard a really loud "THUNK!" and tires chirped. Sometimes when I let out the clutch too soon, I hear a click, but I imagine that's the springs in clutch plate activating.

Could one clutch popping like this damage the transmission?

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
you're fine...the thunk was your engine flopping around. an aftermarket rear engine mount would remedy that

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
you didn't hurt anything. I got into an emergency situation a few months ago and had to dump the clutch and herd a big clunk like you did... scared the crap out of me.. but all is good still.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
The people who design these cars knew you were going to do that and provided for it. Can you imagine if something broke every time your foot slipped off the clutch!

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
No different then some of the 'ricers' you see revving their cars to 4k and dropping the clutch during a street race..... it's all good.... of course don't do it often but cars as mentioned are designed to 'take a beating' to some extent nowadays.....

·
Registered
25,620 Posts
revamp said:
you're fine...the thunk was your engine flopping around. an aftermarket rear engine mount would remedy that
Just one more voice agreeing with everyone. You are fine...just don't make a habit of it...LOL

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
dumping the clutch? why the hell would you do that on purpose, i know you didnt, im just saying ive never in a race reved it up to 4k and dumped the clutch, thats dumb and not gonna get you newhere, speedy but nice steady shifts are gonna get you a to b just as fast as killing your clutch, and engage better

1 - 9 of 9 Posts