Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2006 Zx3 2.0 duratech 5 spd a few months back, because my truck blew up. I love this little car... great on gas, fun to drive, BUT.... Did I buy the worst one to try to mod? I have been looking around for photos of really slicked out 06-07's, but haven't found many. So I need someone to come right out and tell me if I need to just drive this one and leave it alone? I'd like to put some nice looking wheels maybe SVT's, drop it down a bit, exhaust, and maybe a fswerks turbo kit. Not seeing much for aftermarket front bumpers, but like the front end on the this grey one. Ok, someone tell me what I need to think about. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Did you notice this stickie? http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256271

You can swap front ends between MkI & MkI.5, so anything for either can be used if you want to enough.

Wheels/Suspension is where you REALLY wake up the performance (bang for the buck) and the duratec is a desirable engine - can't really go wrong with an '06 hatch with the 5 spd..

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^Troof

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can you guys recommend a decent lowering spring and strut combo. I am not wanting to do coil overs $$$, but just a decent spring and strut. I have been looking around on the forum, but do you have a sticky that gives links to some recommended parts? My little car runs good has 135k miles on it, so I am not leaning on her hard or anything, but it's fun to drive. I run motorcraft synthetic blend oil in it, and change it between 3-5k miles. The engine is super clean, and doesn't smoke or leak any oil. I am about to replace the fuel filter, plugs and wires. I would ultimately like to boost it.. one day.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Eibach ProKit

·
Registered
739 Posts
Eibach Pro-Kit or H&R Sport springs. Those offer a mild drop (1" - 1.25") but will give you much better handling. I'm planning on getting the H&R Sports for my car and just using the OEM Ford dampers, mainly because the damper selection for my car is very limited.

As far as modability, you're in a much better position with that car than I am with mine. There's not too much available for the 2008-11 as it was different in the US than the rest of the world.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
The suspension ideas everyone through out are a good start if you dont want to spend money on coilovers. I nice little drop, some upgraded wheels and your car will look much better.

Here is my 07, should be the same color as yours. Any questions on stuff, just ask.

DSC07057 by rambleon84, on Flickr
Here is an '06 with the Sports Appearance package, came with a different front/rear bumper
DSC07196 by rambleon84, on Flickr (I have other Focus in my Flickr too if you want more ideas.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rambleon84,
That is exactly what I have been looking for! I PM'ed you. I need some specifics if you don't mind. Your car is the same color, and is sick!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ needs adapters for '06 though, nice for a small drop if you can find a kit.

Needs top spring plate & bearing unless you find an assembled strut kit when using it on later models, gotta stick with the pieces for the years it was made for.

Brakes, Suspension & Chassis area plus the Wheels & tires section will give more info..

·
Registered
202 Posts
^^^ needs adapters for '06 though, nice for a small drop if you can find a kit.

Needs top spring plate & bearing unless you find an assembled strut kit when using it on later models, gotta stick with the pieces for the years it was made for.

Brakes, Suspension & Chassis area plus the Wheels & tires section will give more info..
oh I have a feeling I'm about to rage.

so the fully assembled SVT kit I bought will require different front strut bearings to fit my 07? I'm already prepared for the whole shim thing.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Nope nope nope

"Unless you find an assembled strut kit" is the key, that bolts right in with the adapters for the knuckle.

Used that SVT kit myself & I love it. The assembled struts with all new pieces makes the job easy and you aren't deciding what to replace for wear or change to make it fit for later years.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nope nope nope

"Unless you find an assembled strut kit" is the key, that bolts right in with the adapters for the knuckle.

Used that SVT kit myself & I love it. The assembled struts with all new pieces makes the job easy and you aren't deciding what to replace for wear or change to make it fit for later years.
yeah I quickly scrambled to look up part numbers and pics. WHEW!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I loved the drop I did to my 07. The handling is incredible. Next up is svt wheels and summer tires after winter :D

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, the ZX3 is like the most iconic focus ever. Granted, the 00-04 is the real icon, the 05-07 is basically the same thing. There are endless number of mods to be done for your little ZX3.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did order the Massive Omni kit, Fswerks rear camber bolts, Raceland coilovers, and a set of 16" cougar wheels from Rambleon84. I should get all my parts in the mail this week. I am sure a bunch of guys will have things to say about the Racelands, but I am not racing, and I live in South Florida with smooth straight roads. If the coilovers last a couple years, then I call that a win. I did do plenty of reading up on the Racelands, and there were no real complaints from the guys running them. All of the bad things I read were from guys that have never actually ran them. Good thing this is America, and we are all free to make our own choices. I will post photos in a couple weeks when the wheels are painted and the coilovers are on and the alignment is done.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Eibach Pro-Kit or H&R Sport springs. Those offer a mild drop (1" - 1.25") but will give you much better handling. I'm planning on getting the H&R Sports for my car and just using the OEM Ford dampers, mainly because the damper selection for my car is very limited.

As far as modability, you're in a much better position with that car than I am with mine. There's not too much available for the 2008-11 as it was different in the US than the rest of the world.
I'm not sure what you are talking about. I haven't had any problem finding parts to mod my 2010 focus. Only problem I have run into is coming up with the money for everything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts