1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I want to say you should log load on the road as your doing a WOT pull. But I really don't know. My xcal/LL has a real hard time logging during cranking, actually I've not been able to get it to work ever. But my scan tool can log from the point I turn the ignition on to the point I turn the ignition off ... that is to say I can log how the car starts and if it doesn't start I'm still logging until it does.

John's right on how to adjust them though, which you've done already. And like I'd said, once you have the # of degrees between the gears you adjust keeping that # to the RPM range you want power in.

How's the car running so far?

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thats what I thought at first. I kept getting different results. And once I started to consistantly gain load, I started loosing boost, and it idled like crap. So I am assuming thats not how to do it.

And its running great. Thanks again for the help.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
You have 2 choises to get the cam gears CLOSE but only a dyno can get them 100%

You can use a compression tester or log the load both have downsides for getting the gears perfect like a dyno can do

If you want them right find a dyno

Tom

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that. I read what John had posted in the link up there. But I am asking how to dail them in using LOAD. Just cranking like a compression test, or idle or what.

I only want them close. There is no point in paying to have them tuned on a dyno, when I'll be tearing the motor apart in a month or two.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Doing the cam gears with load has issues because you have no way of controling the temps and conditions so the load can change from run to run , out side temp changes , IAT changes , engine temps change all can clange the load as much as 10% either direction and you cound end up loosing power

Tom

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I ended up renting a compression tester since no one can tell me how to use the LOAD PID. Adjusted the intake to 10* advance. Which I thought was weird, cause I thought retard would reduce overlap. Maybe I'm thinking backward? Anyways, once I got that done, I adjusted the exhaust from 4* retard to 6* advance and the compression never changed. I ran out of light so I left it at 6* advance since it idled better there.

Is that weird that it didn't change in 10* of adjustment?

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
You only want to do 1 mark at a time then test then 1 mark and test again , then you want to back up one mark as the compression way again is just a point where you set things to get to a dyno

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
I have no problem telling you the load PID way

You would do say a run from 2-5000 in 3rd gear , then on paper do the rpm
and so on then each run you do put the load beside those numbers your looking for the highest load you can get just like when we talked about there wasent much if any power(torque) gained with going to e85 and adding all the timing in

Then leave the gears where they make the highest load , let me know if this helps

Tom

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah That makes sense. Kinda what I was doing, but getting inconsistant results.

And I have only been adjust them one degree at a time. Just thought it was weird that I got no change in compression over that 10 degrees of adjustment.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I got them lined out now. Idles good. Peak compression. And I gained about 1 psi at 3k and 2 psi about 5500.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts