Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 53 plate 1.6 focus zetec. The temperature gauge is jumping up and down randomly (usually when I go over 45 mph), but the engine isn't overheating and it doesn't overheat just bootling round town. I've had it put on a computer and the codes generated were:
P1709 PNP out of self test range
P0420 Catalyst System efficiency below threshold (Bank 1)
P1285 Cylinder Head overtemperature detected
P1299 Cylinder Head overtemperature protection active

I'm pretty certain I just need to replace the sensor, but my local Ford garage say they can't decide which one I need unless I pay £47 for them to diagnose it on their own computer. Does anyone have any suggestion as to which sensor I might need please?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Assuming yours is a manual trans, I'd start with P1709 and check the connections for the clutch pedal position sensor first. It seems to me that either something came loose or there's a problem somewhere with the harness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you polygon ...yes, it is a manual. I do have a slight clutch issue as well ~ just goes stiff sometimes, but is okay after a few pumps of the pedal.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You're very welcome. Checking the switch is easy enough - remove the lower panel, disconnect the plug and rotate the switch anti-clockwise. It's a push-to-make switch so just check for continuity with a multimeter. Not sure about the voltage on the plug but you can set your meter to something like 20VDC and test across the 2 connector pins with the key in the Start position. Polarity is not critical but you need to get a reading of the supply from the PCM, probably around 5V.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again polygon ... think I may have to put someone in the know onto the case ... most of that sounded double-dutch to me ... lol. I'm good with oil, water, air & identifying strange noises, but beyond that ........ :/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts