Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2004 Ford Focus SVT for a steal of a price. I already own an '02, so it was worth it's weight in parts to me, however my father is desperately in need of a new car and ideally I would like to repair it for him.

The car cranked but was not firing, and after nine hours of diagnostics, head scratching, and googling I discovered a failed crankshaft position sensor. The sensor was gouged like it had collided with something, what I assume was the flywheel.

After stealing a good sensor from my '02 (and discovering a torn CV boot... sigh) the car started right up, but sounded... off.

Back in the light and behind the keyboard, I discovered a bunch of previous threads about a "crankshaft walk" that may have occurred, and that while some people recommend just shimming the sensor, others claimed it was a "bandage on a bullet wound". I'm inclined to believe I may have just toasted my working sensor; I'll know tomorrow.

If anyone more experienced has any recommended next steps for continuing the diagnosis that would be awesome. I don't want to invest time and money into this car and gift it to my father just to have it die a week later. In the mean time sensors are cheap so I have three on the way.

All the best.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Updates:

I have changed the crankshaft position sensor. When I first disengaged the clutch I heard a loud whirring/winding noise that went away. Pulled the sensor out and it is indeed chewed like the last one. Heard a slight "clacking" sound during operating that sounds abnormal to me when compared to my focus. Took it around the neighborhood, runs and drives fine.

Compression tested all four cylinders; there is good compression, ~150 psi in each cylinder.

Drained the oil with a magnet ring around it. Fine particles stuck to the magnet.

Pulled the valve cover, no signs of wear or damage to the valve train.

Pulled the oil pan, can't see anything but the oil pan is full of sparkly dust. I can safely assume the sound I heard was knock, the thrust bearings on the crank are already shot, and that a rod bearing is in the process of failing.

I believe I have to pull the transmission and part of the exhaust to pull the upper oil pan by the looks of things. I'm sure once that is off I will find the bearings are wrecked. At this point I will need to decide whether to rebuild the engine or buy a replacement.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,491 Posts
Updates:

I have changed the crankshaft position sensor. When I first disengaged the clutch I heard a loud whirring/winding noise that went away. Pulled the sensor out and it is indeed chewed like the last one. Heard a slight "clacking" sound during operating that sounds abnormal to me when compared to my focus. Took it around the neighborhood, runs and drives fine.

Compression tested all four cylinders; there is good compression, ~150 psi in each cylinder.

Drained the oil with a magnet ring around it. Fine particles stuck to the magnet.

Pulled the oil pan, can't see anything but the oil pan is full of sparkly dust. I can safely assume the sound I heard was knock, the thrust bearings on the crank are already shot, and that a rod bearing is in the process of failing.

I believe I have to pull the transmission and part of the exhaust to pull the upper oil pan by the looks of things. I'm sure once that is off I will find the bearings are wrecked. At this point I will need to decide whether to rebuild the engine or buy a replacement.
You only have to pull the exhaust to remove the upper oil pan.

·
FF Affiliate
30,866 Posts
Updates:

The SVT Focus shouldnt have a compression of 150 , thats very high for the SVT , How was it tested ?

You wont hear a wore out thrust , they dont make a noise unless there wore so far the cranks counterweight is hitting internally and it would go away when you let off the clutch

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts