Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You will receive no increase in power (even a loss on some chipcodes), you will however receive a much better shifting ATX (if you have auto, nothing if stick), and a better powerband, and a raised speed limiter, and a raised rev limiter, that be it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
If you have a 5spd stick, and only a few basic bolt on mods, then yes, it is. For autotragics (like myself), it isn't so much a waste because it really improves your shifts. If you have FI or a built motor, a custom chip would be very useful.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I ve got an Auto too, upping the speed govenor doesn't mater to me but the rev limiter does, my car screams at the limiter I wonder what it would sound like if it were even higher
hmmm............[idea]

·
Registered
236 Posts
FocusMan7 said:
I have a catback exhaust and a AEM short ram intake.. with an auto
I first had the short ram intake too, but it gave me idling problems, so I upgraded to the AEM CAI. Do you have the same problem

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Laidman said:
I first had the short ram intake too, but it gave me idling problems, so I upgraded to the AEM CAI. Do you have the same problem
Sorry to go off topic here but I have the AEM short ram also and I have neve noticed any idling problems.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
the chip can help balance out your power curve and sometimes make power earlier than u would without it. but if your only mildly modded you might want to put the money towards a full exhaust system, full intake system, or cam gears for more bang for the buck.

chips are good if u have cams, race header, auto, or... FI :)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
John, go dyno your car with your chip in and out and I highly, very highly doubt you'll see more than a 1-2hp difference in both test runs. What you are noticing is the extreme effect of the "butt" dyno.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What can i put in it to be street legal, and faster?

I wanted to get the Volant, but went with the cheaper of the 2.. Why is volant supposed to be so much better tho??

It spudders or something different.. while sitting it idles odd..

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
aem tends to make the maf dirty, u might want to clean it, u can use a cotton swab and rubbing alchohol. the aem ram has a couple downfalls, a. its a short ram, not the powerhouse of the intake designs... and b. it has a metal tube

also it replaces the stock maf housing, which can mess up air readings and make the car run funny.

the volant confines the filter from engine heat because of the air box, has an open top so u can use the fc ram air hood, also uses the stock maf housing and is upgradeable with minor work. + u can use an svt snorkel on it, and it has 2 runners to take in cold air.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
as far as faster and street legal... get full exhuast (headers back) 65 mm t/b, ported 2k intake mani, and some cam gears and dyno tune it. personally, i wouldnt mod the auto anymore than that unless u go all out

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the volant would be the best intake for the focus then?
I want to get the Kaminari Ram hood, would it still work with getting air from that?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And the throttle body, which is the better one, the FC2.3 duratec 65mm, FC2003 65mm, or the FC Aluminum 65mm..

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
well the fc tb's the name says it all

fc2.3 duratec = only for the 2.3l duratec (not urs)

fc2003 = only for 2k3 zetecs

fc aluminum = standard tb

if u have an auto u need the auto bracket.

the open top on the volant wont be functional with the kaminari hood, the fc hood was actually designed with a volant intake. the scoop is right over the air box

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I have both the Diablosport Delta chip and the FC 65mm TB.
They both cost around the same price of 210-225.
If I had to choose between the 2, I would get the FC TB.
With the FC 65mm TB installed, you notice the difference in throttle response immediately and it makes the car "feel" like it's got more juice...[burnout]

The Diablosport is suddle but noticable(or at least I want it to..[paranoid]..).
*Speed and Rev limiters removed......No big deal..[rolleyes]
*I have the standard performance program/burn for my ECU code.
The only thing that sucks is that it uses 91+ Octane gas(20 cents more a gallon than regular...OUCH)

Page 49/50
The Ford Focus Handbook dyno'd that there was an increase of +12lbs of torque at 2500 RPM and Peak power was increased at 6K RPM at +4-5hp.
Also the power is increased between 2200 and 3700 RPM by 2-5hp/10-12lbs. This gives more hp/torque in the lower RPM's than stock without a Diablosport.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hmmm what does a stock atx focus shift at 3000 RPM? How much power is it making at 3000 RPM like 80WHP or 90WHP? I think a chip would be great it's like chipping on another 20 HP if it changes the shift points to 6K or so.

Or does the stock ECU shift at 6000 at WOT?

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
If U have an automatic, you can WOT and find out what your maximum RPM shift point is...
I think I saw a thread stating that an automatic chipped will shift at ~6K at WOT...

I think the WHP/Torque at 3K may less than 80WHP on a stock engine/no chip.
I will post a response to that when I get home to take a look at a dyno sheet of a stock Focus.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts