Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before this starts off wrong i’m a FRUGAL college student with a 2012 ford focus SEL my car has 38,000 miles and is in a (what i like to think) rare color. i plan on keeping this car until it dies but i want to know what we’ll priced options i have to make it a little bit sportier like what air intakes for the best price and things like that and what exhaust that has a grumble but won’t be the worst thing to listen to on long drives. as of right now it’s pretty much stock other than some cosmetic things like led day time running lights a new spoiler on the way things like that. but like i said i need help for peak reliable performance plz help!!! and no i don’t want to sell it and buy an st lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Without knowing your specific budget it's hard to suggest some things. I mean, ya can't be THAT frugal if you're looking for upgrades. In terms of intake, probably your cheapest option is an OEM Focus RS air box with an aftermarket filter. If you can't afford a green filter or K&N, an AEM filter will get you most of the way there at $20 less than the others.
The RS airbox can be found for approx. $85 right now on ebay. If you take your time shopping though and look around some you may be able to get it for $50-$60ish... I got mine for 60 about a year ago but I had to be patient for a couple weeks before one popped up at that price. So that right there will give you a decent intake in terms of sound and maybe a negligible hp boost and you're not spending much more than $100.
Exhaust, if your main concern is sound and/or looks, then probably just look at mufflers rather than an entire cat-back system. I like the sound and love the look of the Magnaflow I have on mine (though it's a full cat-back). When first installed it had a bit of a highway drone and idle wasn't far off of stock; but after some break-in, highway drone is mainly gone and it has a better deeper grumble on idle and accell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just put some light mods on mine, By far the best are the 63mm throttle body, makes it feel much less like a slug.
(Fuel Injection Throttle Body Mounting Gasket - Ford (9L8Z-9E936-A) | TascaParts.com)
and a steeda rear sway bar
(https://www.steeda.com/steeda-focus-rear-sway-bar-12-15-all-555-1075?gclid=Cj0KCQjwiYL3BRDVARIsAF9E4GewLlvezujy4GjuvzGEpJ_pw_2puP9z4DceXi_AI8ApDepArAJd9L8aAi33EALw_wcB)
It wont make the car much faster but it makes it drive like an entirely different vehicle, lots of fun.
Additionally you can take off the intake box which makes a pretty good sound. If youre on a tight budget that's where i would start. Beware of tasca tho they tend to ship things without having them in stock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts