Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some Denso Iridium spark plugs from autozone for my 2003 Ford Focus SE SPI. I haven't opened them yet. Do I need to gap them, or are they pre-gapped?

I'd rather not gap them since I have no idea how and I don't want to accidently break these expensive spark plugs. Also, I don't want to mess up my car.

So, I guess my main question is are these plugs pre-gapped?

If not, are the NGK Iridiums pre-gapped?

Thanks

-diVe-

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
If when you purchased them you told them they are for the SOHC SPI motor then they are already gapped for the car.

And yes the NGK's come pre gapped aswell.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i know that some of the denso plugs are pre grapped and then some are not. I work at autozone in cali....It is always good to double check the gap, because they are sometimes not always correct....I will let you know for sure when i go into work tommorrow

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Considering how cheap a spark plug gauge is, it never hurts to check the gap on new plugs, even if they are suppose to be pre-gapped.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Absolutely, I would check them even if they are pre-gapped. I've found the electrodes almost touching on brand new plugs, and can only assume the box was dropped to the floor during stocking. Check for cracked insulators as well.

If you gap them with a proper tool, you won't break your plugs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
One thing I've found is never gap a plat plug with a slide or keyring style gapper.
I have also gotten in the habbit of holding onto the end the wire goes onto a shaking the plug to check for loose ceramic on new plugs( If the guy behind the counter drops the plugs)
Granted our plugs are easy to get to but some cars can be a pain and I don't like doing anything twice due to bad parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts