Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was thinking today at work. I'm a pizza delivery driver and at multiple times of the day, I find myself turning off the car for maybe 1 min and then starting the car back up. If I can still see my car from the front door, I leave it running, but I'm not about to get it stolen. I know that oil pressure on the internals after this 1 min isn't going to be a problem, but there are a bunch of times that it may sit for longer times while waiting for a delivery. I'm concerned that when the winter comes all the cold starts are going to be a problem.
Is there anything I can do?
Any products that will save my engine and possible my starter?
Any other things I should be worried about?
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Use all that tip money and get something to drive for the winter :)... sorry thats all the help i am.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe after I get caught up financially. It's in my plans to get a strictly work car, so I don't keep putting all the miles on my baby. I'd love to get a 1.6L civic and strip it to like 1600lbs and get 40mpg. I'm sure I'll get shot for saying that here, but, that'd be nice.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
^ that would be pretty nice lots of room to lug stuff around lol

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
just keep up with your oil changes, and make sure your battery is in good health, in the winter that would be something to go first. i wouldnt worry too much about starting it up all the time, the times when its a "cold" start is when it hasnt run in a few hours, but once its warm and running up to temp, shutting the engine off for a few min to deliver goodness in a box, the engine will still be nice and warm.

on your next oil change i would get some lucas oil stabilzer and put that in, it will offer a little more protection for ya.

and invest in a large rubber floor mat, and boots. delivering pizza in the winter sucks, i speak from experience! [thumb]

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Well you could use a second key to lock the door, and just leave the car idling while you make the delivery....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Your car shouldn't have any problems starting in cold weather if the engine is already warmed up. It takes hours for an engine to cool down. If your car does have a problem starting in cold weather, something is wrong.

FWIW I would avoid using a Civic as a delivery car. Too many punk kids like Civics, and they'll try to rip it off. (I'm 35 and have therefore earned the right to say "punk kids".) [;)] I would get a Ford Festiva or an 88-92 AE91 Toyota Corolla / Geo Prizm sedan or wagon. They are near-indestructible, get great gas mileage, wear super-cheap 12"-13" tires, are more fun to drive than you would think, and are way down at the bottom of the depreciation curve. They are also so deeply uncool that no teenage punk will think of stealing one while it's idling at the curb. [^]

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great tips guys. I'll try some lucas and get a floor mat. ha. $300 for that thing I have no clue what it does seems rediculous. Does it prime the oil or what? ??? If they were smart they would jack the Corolla. I just want a civic cause there resale value is outrageous. I wanted one to fix up and it would be nice to be able to f around w/ it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anybody mess around w/ that starter heat wrap. Looks pretty much like the wrap for the exhaust manifolds, just for the starter. ??? Worth it?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the battery was replaced about a year ago. So hopefully that will be fine.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Using your car as a delivery vehicle is just plain dumb. You cannot make enough money to offset the cost of maintaining your car and the company that hired you knows this and is taking advantage of you, otherwise they would provide the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Using your car as a delivery vehicle is just plain dumb. You cannot make enough money to offset the cost of maintaining your car and the company that hired you knows this and is taking advantage of you, otherwise they would provide the vehicle.
no not nessisarily true, I got paid wages plus 40 cents a mile for the last company I worked for, I made it from Altanta to Louisanna and back, about 1100 miles.

1100 miles X .40=$440
1100miles/25mpg= 44 gallons
44gallons X $3.89 dollars a gallon=$171.16

So in total I netted $440-171.16= $268.84, which more than covers wear and tear of 1100 miles, which I calculate(very conservativly) to be about $.10 a mile, which comes $110.00.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you serious. I get paid $7.00 an hour plus I get around $8 in tips an hour. After gas I average $13 an hour all week long and on some days I get more. Like the day I got an $18 tip from a rich guy. I love my job delivering pizza. I don't car how stupid it sounds. It's the easiest job in the world, cause I love to drive. Yeah it sucks a little to put the 40+miles a day on my car. But my last job I was putting 40+miles just driving there and it sucked. Once I get caught up on my bills I'll most like buy a strictly delivery car for $500 or so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts