Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A review.

Yeah, it cost a lot. Overall... I paid like $600. The alarm was $170 and the window module was $65; both prices include shipping. Good prices for DEI brand equipment. Okay, so that's fine. What cost $375 (Goodbye Tune... *tear*) was the installation. There was a base price for installation. Then there was an additional fee for remote start on a standard. Then there was the DEI bypass module for Fords to remote start (because of the chip in the key), which was like $40. Lastly there was an extra fee to install the window module add-on and run the extra wires.

Now, on the bright sides. It was VERY professionally done (and only 1 of 2 places in hampton roads that would do it) and comes with a lifetime warranty. I still had to sign a waiver stating that they told me about putting a remote start is not recommended and hazardous and whatnot... so they're not liable for damage or injury to me or anyone else. But the parts and labor is under warranty.

I'm really really really pleased with it though. The LCD keychain keeps me updated about my car. If someone sets off the warning chirps, I get a message. If someone sets off the ALARM... I get a page. Furthermore it tells me if my trunk was open, my hood was open, or my doors were open. If the warning chirps were set off while I was away and I didn't see it -- when I unlock the car, instead of two chirps I will hear 4... telling me that the triggers were set off while I was gone.

The alarm has a turbo timer, and while I don't have a turbo... with the way I drive it is still probably a good idea to let the car sit for a minute and idle before it shuts off. This also makes SURE that it is safe to remote start it later. There's an alarm on the LCD and it also includes parking timers (for parking meters) that just count down how long you have left to be away. There is a 24 hour start feature so that as long as it is on, the car will remotely start every 24 hours and the time you specify. Another awesome feature is that when I hit three buttons at the same time, it will tell me what the temperature is inside my car. Now THIS is really useful with the window module that was added. If I hit a button on the LCD then my windows will roll down about an inch to vent the windows. If I hit it again, they'll roll all the way down. When I arm my car, the alarm engages and the windows automatically roll up. And in the normal driving state... my car now has one-touch-down for both the driver and passenger side windows. [thumb]

I've been playing with the thing since I got it back. I love it.

The Avital 4400 2-way LCD Security w/ Remote Start : Awesome product, very reasonable price. Loaded with features. Tons of fun to show off; "Hey, look what my alarm can do!". and Protects your baby.

Overall... if I had known in the end it would cost this much, I probably wouldn't have done it. But, I did it in steps over two months, so it didn't seem so bad. AND.. now that I have it... it is definately worth it to me. I love it. Great product and good service.

I'm very pleased.

-Malakai, out. [;)]

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Pics?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of what, exactly. Most everything is tucked away inside my dash.

I could take a pic of the siren, in my engine bay.. butt... uhh.

I won't take pics of the valet and disarm switches, because it gives away their location.

So, the only thing left would be the LCD.

Try here: http://www.avital.com/products/ap_2way.htm

shows it doin all the things "it do".

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oooh. I could take a pic of the shiny blue light. :D

or maybe take a video clip of the car remote starting, arming and disarming. :p

i just don't think anyone would be interested enough in it.

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
^^haha!

I swear, if someone on here said they bought a new yellow #2 pencil, people would want pics of it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
nice unit... its ASK based, which means you don't have the range as the FSK based units (Viper 791,Python881,Clifford3.5X,etc) nor the communication speed between transceiver and brain.

all in all, nice unit. does each of your windows have 'one touch' or does your drivers door only give one-touch up/down to all the windows.

-john
SQF

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got the same unit that I installed in my car. The Avital 4400 and the two 530T's which allow control of all windows in both directions. Was about a three night afair for me to install. Loved the unit so much I put the same one on my Oldsmobile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts