Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together my SPI and decided to do a re-ring. #4 dropped valve seat and no damage was made to cylinder walls. Since I'm replacing one piston and rings, figured I'd do rings on all four. I've read plenty on the need to deglaze so that new rings seat well. I plan on picking up a Flex Hone ball, but need some help with grit. Any experience out there with deglazing and Flex Hone?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Unless you do several motors, just the cost of the flex hone will be more than having a machine shop do it.

Hone grit depends on what rings you bought.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered a set of Sealed Power rings. Block is still hanging in my car. Removing the block isn't in my cards at the moment.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
240 is too rough for moly rings which many Sealed Power are. 400 for them. Look further down the chart given there. Moly rings like finer finishes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
240 is too rough for moly rings which many Sealed Power are. 400 for them. Look further down the chart given there. Moly rings like finer finishes.
Thanks, I read that, and the Sealed Power set are moly rings according to the description. I ordered all my parts; new coolant hoses, timing belt, water pump, t-stat, etc. Hopefully get to keep for another 100k.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts