Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all 2012 TI owners, I have a question for all 2012 focus owners. My wife and I went to wash my car tonight in the touch less car wash and during the wash ALL my windows were instantly steamed over I put the car in max defrost mode and that did not help at all, the out side temp was 34 degrees. Very hot air was coming out from the defrost vents the windows did not get clear for about five minuets of driving down the road this was after setting for about 30 seconds so I could see to drive. I am very scared there is a seal or hole plug missing in the car somewhere that I don’t know about. Has any ones else noticed the above happening to them in the car wash. I normally don’t wash the car in the touch less but because it has gotten much colder out I tend to wash the car once a week with the bottom blast. Bottom blast was used this time and every time. I normally wash the car by hand and shimmy it off.

Thanks to all

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't know if you have the same problem, but I had to have the windshield replaced as it had delaminated and there was mould growing between the layers of the glass.

In my case every time I turned the defrost on, the entire car would fog up because of excessive water entering the car.

The only way I could prevent it was with the use of the air conditioning button, but at 34 degrees, I do not believe it will turn on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
e350 coupe. thank you so much for the reply, when you had your mold growing was there any color were the windshield mets the cowl. i have too inches off something yellow between the glass and cowl.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm not an expert but I believe that is what I had. My car is usually parked in a warm 68-70 parking lot and the few times it rained I had the same problems you are describing.

I did not even find the problem with the windshield, it was the service manager attempting to find the cause of my clunking noise that found the windshield delaminating.

Needless to say I got a new Ford windshield a week later and the problem has gone.

I just drove through a touch less car wash and although it fogged up immediately when turning the defog on, it also immediately went away with seconds including the side windows and I did not have to use the air conditioning to do this.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok she will be going into ford on monday than to be looked at. I just dont want any water in the car. did you find any water in the car, if so were so i can look? I love this car to death but this scares me. thanks so much

·
Registered
198 Posts
I never found any water in the car, and at the time they found the delaminated windshield they were replacing the struts and springs in attempts to locate the clunking noise coming from the front of the car.

They had the car for 2-3 weeks and they discovered and repaired the windshield in that time. I received the car back immaculate, and it was detailed inside and out, so I not sure if they might have found any water.

I should point out that the people who were subcontracted to replace the windshield, also operate a car wash, and detailing center, out of the same location.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The air intake for the cabin are up under the top edge of the hood. I wonder if water got forced into those intakes by the car wash?

On the other hand, the first time i used my defrost it took forever to work on the windows.
Afterwards it did work better...

The defrost can work heat or cold. The defrost uses the air conditioning to dehumidify the air, then with heat ot becomes even MORE dessicated, and sucks up the moisture.
So the defrost can work with the temp well below freezing.. or on a warm muggy day.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is the air intake different from the cabin air filter, i thought all the air that is pulled in goes through the cabin air filter. if not than i will go look at what you are saying to.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I am pretty certain that the air comes in from under the top edge of the hood, then goes around and around eventually getting to the cabin air filter, and then around and into the car.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
In the last week we had two mornings with temp below 0 C, so I find myself with the car having an iced-windshield. Usually, I would have used my "scrapper", but I decided to test the defrost thing. And let me say that I was impressed ! And I was not even using the "Max defrost". Only the simple vocal command : Climate | Defrost. In less than 3 minutes all the windshiled + side windows were all "cleared". WOW ! I don't know if this is because of the "winter package", but all I can say is that I am impressed by how my car "defrost" works.

·
Registered
291 Posts
To all 2012 TI owners, I have a question for all 2012 focus owners. My wife and I went to wash my car tonight in the touch less car wash and during the wash ALL my windows were instantly steamed over I put the car in max defrost mode and that did not help at all, the out side temp was 34 degrees. Very hot air was coming out from the defrost vents the windows did not get clear for about five minuets of driving down the road this was after setting for about 30 seconds so I could see to drive. I am very scared there is a seal or hole plug missing in the car somewhere that I don’t know about. Has any ones else noticed the above happening to them in the car wash. I normally don’t wash the car in the touch less but because it has gotten much colder out I tend to wash the car once a week with the bottom blast. Bottom blast was used this time and every time. I normally wash the car by hand and shimmy it off.

Thanks to all

34 degrees outside temp

High relative humidity due to being inside a car wash

You described perfect conditions to fog up your windows

Since very hot air was coming out of all of your vents, and your windows eventually defogged, your defroster is working.

When in Defrost Mode, outside air is brought in.

In your case the outside air being brought in was saturated from being inside a car wash. The water vapor brought inside the car then condenses on the cold glass, forming a fog.

Due to the 34 degree temps outside and the extreme relative humidity of being inside a car wash, it would take longer than normal to generate enough heat to overcome those conditions.

2. MAX: (Max Defrost): Distributes outside air through the
windshield defroster vents and demister vents
. Can be used to clear the
windshield of fog and thin ice. Press this button again to return to the
previous air flow selection.

4. (Recirculated air): Press to activate/deactivate air recirculation
in cabin. Recirculated air may reduce the amount of time to cool down
the interior of the vehicle and may also help reduce undesired odors
from reaching the interior of the vehicle. Recirculated air engages
automatically when MAX A/C is selected or can be engaged manually in
any airflow mode except (defrost). Recirculated air may turn off
automatically in all airflow modes except MAX A/C to reduce fog